Monday, July 26, 2010

the next stage....

I have been thinking a LOT and not blogging or doing much wth the horses the past few weeks - kind of gone 'underground' in my RBI way...

Then I had the shock of my life when I was offered a scholarship - I know there has been some negative talk and some possible bitterness, and I understand it is a LOT of money we still have to stump up. But, for me, it is the opportunity of a lifetime - I don't think it is ever going to come 'cheaper' than this and so I'm going to grab it with both hands and manage the money situation somehow. I think, left to me to organise myself I would probably procrastinate and procrastinate...then I'll be too old to get the most out of it anyway! So, I don't know how they 'chose' people or even if they 'chose' at all - maybe everyone that applied got the offer. But thanks Pat and Linda for at least giving some money off. I was planning to go in 2012, so I feel I am not really 'ready' to go - but then again what a place to learn!!

I have been discovering things about me since then - why was I happy to tell so few people - why am I 'scared' of people knowing?? Finally I realise why I have held myself and my horses back from so many other things - not because I'm scared of being hurt but because I'm scared of what people think!! Stupid or what - yes I know and agree with the saying - what other people think of you is none of your business' but I never realised that I had such a problem with it. I never could figure out 'why' I wasn't progressing. So, I'm still not telling many people - if they find out they find out...

What I do know - that I will make the very best of this opportunity as scholarship or not I am SO lucky to have a husband and work that suddenly allowed me to follow this.... I can't wait - so much to organise and plan - most exciting has been choosing a lease horse. I have settled on a 'been there done that' gelding - time for me to learn as much as possible - hopefully he can help me with my wobbly canter! Hope everything falls into place - haven't heard from his owner for a day or two.


BFOs....
In preparation, I thought I should play with my horses 'as if' they were a lease horse that i was just getting to know - I haven't been as careful with them as I should and it is showing. I decided to focus on fluidity in my body and brain, no jerky movements, no rushing, and sensible goals. I can't suddenly make myself L4 but I can improve on the basics like reading horsenality, phases, rein positions etc. So my plan was, play with the horse that showed up, have a plan that involved tasks but have the goal of the horses horsenality - ie with Cam RBI it would be confidence, when she is LBI it will be motivation, RBE it will be calmness - with Rafiki LBE obedience.

Saturday I thought - play for the horse you want tomorrow - we played point to point with haynets, as she has been very nervous and very unmotivated...the haynets helped the LBIpart and the short distance and curves inbetween the RBI - and she got some treats out of it..we started off online but she looked rideable - being introvert we stuck to walk - I thought I could ride anything she threw at me. So I progressed to bareback walk - and yes she did get a fright and had a spook and jumped sideways and spun but I stayed LB and relaxed, amazingly. The others tore off up the paddock but she bent her neck in lf - pretty bracey but remembered I was up there, so held it til she relaxed then gave her a carrot as a test - that went down well! her poor heart was going like crazy. We slowly ambled a bit more then had a slow trot and called it a day. Sunday we played again - this time with the saddle. Wow what a difference - it was how slow could I go and she shook her head and neck SO much in release. I realised that if I give her time, mostly she will respond at phase 1, a thought and feeling in my body rather than a'movement' - (and so will Rafiki sometimes!) - poor girls I have been 'shouting' at at least a phase 3....
We only had an hour, so we followed the pattern of the day before - point to point between haynets with a few figure of eights thrown in for variety - she was very relaxed by the end, but more interestingly, not just confident she was motivated and offereing things too!!

I must be at least a bit successful in changing my 'vibes' as Merlot Shiraz and today Rafiki were more motivated towards me too...Rafiki is uncharacteristically nervous so think I need to play with her. Merlot voluntarily left the others and trotted up the hill to me, then later in the day he spied me in the arena and cantered down the hill and all the way up to me with that lovely balanced gait - wow can't wait to ride that - Shiraz and the others followed.

So while I'm disappointed they have been more nervous than usual, I think it is mainly because I'm not using that key# 5 with them enough...they are all more confident when I'm around.....

ooh and other good news - there are a few people now interested in a L2/3/4 course at Waerenga - the email will be out soon - Jackie will be with us in November!! we might also get a L1/2 course at Clevedon - just let me know if you are interested and what in...

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant news on the scholarship! It's a long way off but enjoy the anticipation lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cilla,
    Thanks for your comment. Eek not that long way off though - I didn't explain well - I was planning to go in 2012 but they offered me a place on the 30th August Fastrack THIS year - a fraction over 4 weeks away!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argghhhhhhh!! How very very very exciting!! Well done you. And with a lease horse! Nice. I am very jealous lol. I have a year to wait before we do our L3 course for 2 weeks at Parelli UK HQ.
    I really hope you will blog about it as I will be eager to read your wonderful posts and soak up maybe a tiny bit of new your savvy virtually! My best wishes go with you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very lucky...but a 2 week L3 course with your own horse - wow that WILL be amazing you will progress so much!!
    I am intending to blog about the course if I can - have to get something to blog on first though.....thanks for your comment about posts but they are far from good - just ramblings!
    Thanks! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes well I love your ramblings! I do enough of that myself too lol!! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane thanx for all the thoughts and happenings with your horses, they will benefit sooo much once you are back..I am getting numnbers I think for Clevedon, but I myself if I can manage it may be able to make Waerenga- at least for 2 days...we'll see. There are a few people who want to come but haven't yet confirmed that will definitely be there. I'll see you on the 15th XX

    ReplyDelete