How is your focus today?
What are you focussing on - for you, your horse, now, medium and long term???
Since I came back from Pagosa someting has changed in me - I can focus on more than one thing at a time! I can focus on one thing that I should be doing, one thing my horse 'should' be doing and where we are going - ie what this is contributing to and what are the ingredients.....and where we are headed.
Also I have been very highly motivated - have played with and/or ridden at least one horse every day since 30th August(a record for me!) ......and we have all progressed hugely. I have a vision for my future, a vision for each horses future and a plan for how to get there. I had these things before but somehow it wasn't really happening.
Cameo has been the one to really notice.... not quite sure exactly what it is that has changed in me - maybe it is that I finally have a plan, am more of a leader for her and give her as long as she needs - so of course it takes less time...
Today we had the best ride - she offered a delicious walk to canter transition and I could sit the canter!! Previously her canter has been choppy and rough...
I only asked for a trot but she popped up into it -only lasted a few strides but we got two instances of it...then she was happy to walk on a casual rein again. Tomorrow it will probably all change again, but at least we are heading in the right direction. Follow the rail was better today -and we did some nice sideways and a lovely turn on the hq with no reins. For the first time there was much less brace - I must look up partial disengagement again as think that will help.
She is so soft and light and willing that yet again I have decided to carry on with her as long as she is healthy and do my L4 online at least with her - we aren't that far away...I watched some Youtube videos...
I rode Rafiki one day in the week and realised how unconfident she was with lateral flexion in comparison with Cameo, and that of course I need to take the time it takes with Rafiki to get over this unconfidence - think it will take a while. I have a horrid feeling she had her head tied when she was started. All the while we were riding out and about and I didn't ask for too much she was ok, but I got off a lot. She wasn't relaxed with lf or disengagement though. When I realigned my focus and started riding her properly I realised just how unconfident she is....have asked Russell for some lessons with her.
In the meantime I will slowly progress with her and Cameo (and soon Merlot!)...my real focus is to do do everything as if PP was watching, and not just get the task done..... funny how having a real responsibility and thinking how everything might look to someone else has made such a difference to my savvy.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh yes that's a good one Jane! I often pretend my PP is watching or I am back at Stoneleigh. Helps me to be focused and polite. I am usually aware that someone at the yard is watching me and I try to be a Parelli Ambassador.
ReplyDeleteB is very unconfident when riding (makes two of us sometimes lol) and I don't get off enough!
I would love to see a video of you and Cam and L4 online, just a little peek maybe xxx