Tuesday, June 8, 2010

How interesting- have I lost the plot???

I was keen to see how Cam was today after yesterday, and they all met me in the arena again both this morning when I took them hay at 5am and tonight. She was first both times so not lost too much rapport I hope.

However, she was SUPER unconfident again, even on the ground by herself with the others before the halter came out. She attaches herself to Rafiki at Z 3 like a limpet and poor Rafiki does get cross. When Cam is confident she takes chunks out of Rafiki so poor girl doesn't really know where she stands...actually neither of them do with that relationship...

I was pondering my actions yesterday and realised that OF COURSE Cam wasn't reassured by finesse because I wasn't riding with finesse! I was putting too much pressure on and the first rule is relaxation - which I didn't have consistently...but at least we could retreat to relaxation when I'm on board, and there was a time we couldn't do that because I wouldn't have been onboard in the first place..I should have said that I meant the way "I used to ride" was PP pre-parelli. I also realised I was getting far too direct line thinking about L3 in November, and she is in charge of the timeline, not me. All I can do is help her gradually expand our comfort zone.

Today I wanted to put the saddle on and it was clear she was in no state to be down the 'scary' end of the arena, so I arranged some cones up the 'safe' end and decided to focus on confidence, relaxation at the walk, and steering (in a halter)with no reins. So thats what we did. But if she didn't bend appropariately around a cone I did bring in the carrot stick and tap her, as she kept getting distracted. Eventually we got some licking and chewing but it took a long while. Then I practiced picking up the reins for contact and dropping them, and as she was happy with that we did some sideways and turn on the hq, and some better backing. We finished the session with more confidence than she started with, and she stuck to me again. I opened the paddock gate while I went to get the feeds and she voluntarily came with me away from the others, and waited by herself then came back with me. She was VERY suspicious of the wheelbarrow in the shed - think that what was distracting her. Once she was 'past' that she was fine. All the while I was thinking again - have I got her totally wrong - how can she be so unconfident in the arena when she was fine the previous day and then circumstances change and she is fine again - but I think I am reading it right as unconfidence and she needs time...make no assumptions..

I keep thinking that I should 'switch' to Rafiki for levels as she (Rafiki) seems to be so much more confident perhaps is now the easier horse and that will progress my riding. Even the twins are more confident than Cam but they are different horsenality and have no baggage. I've been thinking maybe Cam is like Magic (same horsenality..) and very sensitive, and has trouble with past bagagge and it does resurface every so often. I know she is nowhere near the horse power of Magic, thank goodness, but challenging for my little brain....and powers of keeping calm. I should be riding Rafiki anyway and that is the only way I'll find out so I'd better get on with it. Then Cam and I can slowly progress. As I was thinking all of this I let the others out and we all sauntered out to the paddock. I went to the barn and was fiddling around and heard thunder of hooves as they flew at a gallop up the hill. Well, too my suprise when I came out there was Cam still waiting for me - calmly standing looking for me. We moseyed back to the arena and she pointed out the saddle by putting her nose on it, then asking for a carrot. We ambled up the hill (the others were out of sight) and she was very obviously waiting for me - she'd take a few steps then stop til I was with her again,then take a few more and stop again... how interesting...in a weird way the session seems to have built rapport but time will tell - she has just reminded me there is NO point in hurrying her or putting goals before principles....

So I need to re-think - maybe I won't be doing L3 in November!!

well done anyone thats read this far - sorry I had to get it all out of my brain - off to watch a video and try and see what I've been missing in RBI...

4 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your posts as my new partner is also RBI.
    We are having some confidence issues online and B shows it by bracing and freezing then exploding. I am learning how little pressure she can take sometimes, how to take the pressure off and which of the games helps her relax and be calm.
    So far I haven't pushed her at all when riding but instead got her used to the halter and loose rein. I had to begin with having the reins quite short (she was like a rudderless ship, walking into things and not going in any kind of straight line!) and letting them out bit by bit. Now she is happy on a loose rein/no rein at all and is beginning to understand that the reins are for communicating not controlling her. She has only lost her confidence once so far when out on the trail and I just respected her opinion and we went home.
    I will read all you can write!
    c x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane
    I think you put pressure on yourself as soon as Russell said he thought you'd be ok to do L3FS in November.... you were making really good progress just riding (not finesse - freestyle) as much as you did in a relatively short time frame... so there is heaps of time, and if you are not ready - you're not ready.... you'll have all summer and really there is no panic. Take it from me - better to have a good L3 than a mediocre one sent in.

    Perhaps Camp was just wondering if you were still the same human ... just checking back in a little tentatively.

    Did you read Linda's blog about Remmer being unconfident in his own paddock when he comes back from Florida - that was really interesting to me as it again reminded me of Garbo.

    xx

    just keep trucking along - one day at a time, build on your riding FS patterns and don't worry about Finesse for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi thanks both of you - Cilla thats great you have a new partner. Are you blogging??? would love to read them!

    Vicki Thanks too - you are right - I was getting obsessive, needed to step back a bit and I think thats why I needed the short break. But now I'm 'back' and need to be consistent for all. No I didn't read about Remmer - had better have a look...

    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane! Of course I am blogging!Lol. www.threelbreeze.blogspot.com
    I am keeping a close eye on your blog. So much to learn about an RBI! Radically different from my darling LBI Lizzie.
    Keep it up Jane I am enjoying your progress and success. x

    ReplyDelete