Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Think I found the plot again, with the help of my friends!

Thanks for your support people and horses.
Cam was again just telling me I wasn't a good enough leader - I'm adding the 'yet'!
Today I had a different horse to yesterday - totally LB again...hmm how interesting. I watched her furtively in the paddock and she looked so LBI. So we played the catching game, I approached zone 5 and she was watching me but still grazing, so I crouched down and crept up and as she still didn't move I tagged her. She instantly turned and came to me, and stuck to me all the way down the hill into the arena at liberty, even though I tried to 'lose' her! The others then came galloping in bouncing around but she still stuck...

I decided I need to improve circling and her responsibilities to make riding easier, having read a few Q and A on the website. I also realised I haven't been progressing the number of laps...I knew it but hadn't 'bothered' to do anything about it and now it's showing big time. So we had a play with 'don't make me pick up the stick and get you to change direction' if she changed gait - wow what a difference, I had an attentive exuberant soft bright eyed partner!! I decided I need to be more assertive when she is confident so she can rely on me when she is less confident, so we approached and retreated to 'scary' corner which interestingly was nowhere near so scary today....the other thing I did was cause her to do something if she took her attention off me in the scary area, so she 'couldn't' take her eyes off me...she didn't take her eyes off me in the non scary area as I'was being assertive and mixing stuff up so she didn't know what was happening next...

Ooh she teaches me so much! We were figure of eighting in the scary area as that calms her and she was really trying, then she thought she'd add a variation by popping neatly over the cones, and the cones are the tall ones almost 3ft high! She really tucked her front and back up and made such an effort so she got a carrot for that.

Feeling better today... :)

5 comments:

  1. You and me both. I rode Breeze today in the woods on our own. She started off RB but with lots of sideways and yo yo she was LB.
    I have yet to ride her in our arena. I envy you at the moment x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane...I just love your blogs- the journey is what it's all about and just like the horses sometimes we have an off day too. But as always they let us know and we let them know and we can correct what was not working...Just working it out is pretty neat...don't you think- progressive stretching I call it...hahahaha who would have thought that our consciousness could extend so far..it's absolutely brilliant!!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you - progressive stretching - yes!!

    Cilla I'm off to take a look at your blog..great you are riding again!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane. That's what Russell said about Maraschino, well kind of. Glad you processed it all. It feels like we go round in circles sometimes doesn't it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane - sounded like a good plan worked - well done - it was a 50/50 bet - and it paid! Yay. I am with you on not progressing the number of laps - the one day I did do it after my L2 online comments from Carol Coppinger - I had him circling 30 laps at trot - wow - then the ground got hard.... bum

    ReplyDelete