I have decided to focus equally on Rafiki and Cam until I really know who is my easiest horse. So, I have decided not to try and squeeze too much in as I normally do, but to play with one one day and the other the next, leaving the twins til my days off.
My clicker training with Cam yesterday was obviously enjoyable for her - the others were hanging around the arena when I walked down but Cam was out in the paddock and she flew down the hill and into the arena, whinnying! So cute. She did get a bit of hay for that.
Today was Rafiki's day - she was already waiting for me by the arena when I came home, the others all grazing. So she thrust her head into the halter then spied the target we played with the other day in clicker training - nose went straight on it - amazing!! Sometimes with her after a day or two with no play when we play again it seems as if 'someone' has been playing with her in my absence . She seems to have really absorbed whatever we were doing last - I've noticed this several times.
I did think I might have to remind her but obviously not - wherever that target went her nose went too, and by this time Cam had left her hay and was hanging over tha gate softly whinnying, obviously wanting to take over!! Thank you so much Vicki for suggesting this - they LOVE it and so do I! Who cares if food is involved if it motivates them and they enjoy playing even more then that's great. If Cam was rb though I know it would not make a blind bit of difference - play with the horse that shows up, and that is more and more LBI though I am 200% sure she is a RBI - she epitomises it.
We played for about 5 minutes with the clicker then put the bareback pad on and moved on to OLP 5 (weave - walk oneway trot the other). I think this is our third play with this and she was SO much better - usually I have a job to kep her off me and she looks grumpy (which I think is her 'neutral'), but much better today. We went up and down 3 sets in walk and she seemed to have 'got it', with rewards now and again, so we tried trot up walk back. Initially she thought trot both ways but I think she was 'over trying'. Then we moved on after 2 of those, to OLP6 (circles) but before we did that I just did a bit of yoyo. She was trying SO hard - foucssing so hard she was actually swaying back and forward as she was trying to pick up what i wanted - what a sensitive girl!! We did some nice circles walk and trot, no tension in the line, then change the game before she gets bored. Move the fq which she has really struggled with before. Not today - just a few really good steps and a reward. Then move on.
Bareback pad was tightened up and I thought she had better have a canter, as I know she is not very confident cantering. I was right, sucked her bottom lip in and buck buck buck - soon as we got a few relaxed strides we stopped. It is ages since she has bucked like that but ages since she has worn a girth at a canter (march) . There wasn't much buck comapred to before though so I hopped on for 5 minutes. Initially she kept turning her head (last time I rode we had done lots of 'stroke the face' as initally she couldn't deal with that. ) but I verbally asked her to walk on (been practising as that is what she was 'brought up ' with) as well as using energy. She was great, we did OLP2 but just in walk. The first turn was bracey and she kept stopping but soon as she recognised the pattern and understood to 'walk on' she was fine .
BFO - I know she has never understood porky - but it really feels like I have gone right back to the begining almost re-starting her...
It is though all good practice for the twins but I was going to get a very carefully chosen professional to start them as my riding isn't good enough - but I can do a lot towards it....
Another good day! 'Just' need to be consistent now and stick to my plan....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Jane
ReplyDeleteYou know you can use the clicker on board as well - click for a nice transition, then treat (start with walk to halt say)..then later click for a nice upward transition - click when nice and then ask for a downwards and treat (no 2nd click).... it really focuses them on you. Garbo loves it. Looks like we are in for rain tonight looking at the radar. Well done for getting on after a few bucks online :-)