I have ridden Cameo three times since my last blog, (mainly in passenger lessons which she isn't keen on -likes a bit of direction) and Rafiki very briefly once. We are getting some sun and dry weather at last yay but bet it will be wet again soon. But the UK summer looks pretty yuk from talking with Mum and looking at Cilla's blog...
We have done 4 sessions of 'hill therapy' now and she is really getting the hang of it - after the third session I looked at her back and she seemed less downhill.....she is much more consistent in trot and started to offer canter.
I rode Cam bareback with no bareback pad etc and she was deliciously light - so light I only rode for 10 minutes in walk,but got our best figure of eight yet, just turning by me looking at her hq. Then yesterday I had a bit more time so we had another hill therapy session, and after a few good trot circuits we went the other way, also practising OLP6,then after 1 circuit Cam offered the most lovely loose relaxed canter (on the right rein, her 'harder' side usually) ever! WAY better than anything I've ever seen her do even in the paddock. Normally it is a jarry head up tail up rb panic. Her head wasn't down, but she was relaxed and her gait looked really fluid - she jumped the pole pile and it looked very rideable....can't wait!! She offered a whole circle so I softly asked her in and she had a break.
Then I put the saddle on and we practiced OLP2 - I know as usual my riding is well behind my online, but we have been doing passenger lessons too which I think has really helped us. She wasn't as soft as the other day with the bareback pad, so I also focussed on where I wanted to go rather than turning by looking at the hq - using focus seemed more effective (and more logical!) . We practiced for half and hour and although it was windy we had no spooks or leaps in the air - think my casual rein is improving. As soon as she started to get really motivated we stopped. She is also a lot smoother into transitions, both up and down, I wobble less and really felt much more harmonious. But the best thing - when I took the saddle off..no ruffles and it hadn't slipped forward !
Just a quick mention of my ride on Rafiki. We haven't done much recently but I was really keen to get on. Online she had a couple of leap in the air moments (and when she leaps she leaps about a m vertically and 3m sideways) - no way i would have stayed on bareback and I didn't seethemcoming, but I wound her up a bit and she stayed calm. One thing I noticed - she doesn't leap into me anymore- when she gets a fright it is towards me but steering clear. So I asked her to the fence (doesn't taxi well yet) and slid on. She immediately turned her head - much better and more relaxed than last time, and I asked her on.Well what a great long stride compared with Cam - I really 'went with her'and it is the most harmonious ride we've had. We had one moment when she wanted to go left and I asked for straight on and she softened to the rope, whereas before she would just blast through - so I leapt off and gave her a carrot!! Then last night she gave me the softest figure of eight online in walk with no direction-so pleased!! Only baby steps but slow 'n right is the way for us.. I can't wait to take her out and about- think she will love forest rides....and getting out of the arena once we have reliable brakes and signals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yes our summer is definitely yuk! More rain on it's way today!
ReplyDeleteI have been trying to work out your shorthand e.g. OLP2 but still haven't got it lol. Need a translation lol!
cilla xxx
yes, acronym queen we need the lay name for these games... lol...
ReplyDeleteWell done two rides!!! Wahoo.
Sorry to hear your summer really is so yuk Cilla - my sister went to a show (she's a'normal' but a very successful one)the other day and it rained ALL day. My shorthand - OLP2 = Online Pattern 2 = walk figure of eight!! I'm trying to learn them all off by heart so it helps me as I progress with the twins (and Rafikiof course..) so much quicker to write!!
ReplyDeleteThink we'll have rain tomorrow -drove home in rain today but went ahead and played anyway. I have no excuse for not riding having a lovely arena all to myself -I know what it is like having toshare...