I had a short amazing play with Merlot today, after having a play with Rafiki in the morning (more about that in a mo). He came with me to the barn paddock for a graze while i was fiddling about with some tape around the bonfire site, leaving the others in the arena. It was REALLY windy and gusty so with all the trees around he was brave to do that. He wasn't quite confident enough to stay there by himself though so came skipping back with me to the arena.
I have some logs set up infront of the barrels (think they are in a pic somewhere) as well as another pair of barrels, so I thought he might like a play as I think we have only played once since Hana and Vicki came over (shocking, I know!). He was keen to play his favourite game 'stick to me' so I ran and stopped and darted and spun and he matched me - then I ran towards the barrels with logs and he hopped straight over - then stopped when I did and asked for a carrot!! Needless to say he got one!
- how interesting, a not quite 3 year old who hasn't been 'handled' or haltered for weeks is confident enough and can read what I ask to comfortably jump an unfamiliar object at liberty when my RBI levels horse who I've been playing with for 5 years is NOT confident enough to jump it first go AND online....
Well, it wasn't a fluke as we carried on and jumped (well, he jumped, I ran alongside) about 8 times, over the pairs of barrels. Then I thought we'd better stop to keep his enthusiasm for next time, so we went to the pedestal with lower energy to signal 'game over' (which he climbed on with 2 feet then tried 3 then slid off!!) WHAT an amazing boy he is - just can't wait til he is my riding horse...
Rafiki's turn
I was determined to have a play with Rafiki as I've been beating myself up about my slow progress with Cam and Rafiki (I feel worse about not spending enough time with Merlot and Shiraz but 'everything means something' and they seem to take things into their own hooves anyway...)
I decided to do more with porky as I know it is our weak game. I was trying to teach her to understand rein signals, by driving from z 3 and 4 initially then directing her with a rein, but she found it very confusing. The weather didn't help as it was gale force winds and occasional horizontal rain. She really has very little idea and I'm trying to think of things to help her understand and really break it down - I think we just need to go very slowly, be consistent, do it 7 days in a row and give her lots of reassurance as I know she thrives on that. Anyone else got any ideas??
She had one moment when she really got confused and started grinding her teeth - interesting, I'd completely forgotten she used to do that when I very first got her. Anyway, it was only for seconds,and we just stopped for a mental break and set off again, and she went happily with ears forward, so think it as just a 'throwback' memory. I don't know if she has never understood or if she has 'forgotten' - I strongly suspect 'never understood' though....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

have you tried long reining with her?...
ReplyDeleteCouldn't you replicate the follow the feel with the line online (like leading) or is it when you get back at Z3 or more she does not understand - I would seperate isolate and recombine.
Wasn't it windy though!!
I rode - briefly - by myself with no one home - George doesn't like me doing that! Just blogging now.
Merlot - what a good boy - you know Maraschino stepped over a hay bale (he didn't need to jump it lol) the first few months I had him - think they don't have a fear of jumps yet horses who have been pre-owned do perhaps they were forced over them etc...
Thanks Vicki, I forgot to mention 'isolate separate and recombine'! I did try that yesterday, slowing right down and just getting her to turn her head. And guess what!! Today she was fine - obviously had a good think about it overnight and it sunk in. She was ok straight away, so after 10 minutes it seemed as if she had 'got it' so I hopped on. We did exactly the same thing, and she was nearly as good onboard - no real braciness like there had been. At one point I lifted my energy too much and she had a very few strides of gentle trot but came down to a whoa straight away. That was my mistake - she just did as I asked ...hmm wonder how many times that has happened before... The other thing I noticed was that I had not given her a chance to respond to my 'body eyes' - so we did 'body eyes' then use the rein if she didn' turn. I was amzed at how much she picked up and how sensitive she is...only didn't quite get it a couple of times and needed the rein...but I wanted to practice porky anyway..
ReplyDeleteWoohoo you riding on your own too - good for you! Interesting about Maraschino..