Sunday, May 9, 2010

Horsey weekend

I had a great weekend - we have been so lucky with the weather but could really do with some rain (not too much at once and at night please, if we have a choice..)

I took Rafiki to the training facility down the road as I wanted to take her somewhere close, and my goal is to get her out every week. We had a fab time - she loaded and travelled beautifully again, and was a bit excited when we got there but I didn't let her off the float til she was calm, and she happily loaded again immediately. A racehorse was being ridden round the track while we played online in the arena - took a while to get her focus but we managed it. I put the saddle and bridle on as she seems to prefer the bridle and likes the security. We were soon trotting around and had a canter both reins. She is so easy to sit on compared with Cam's paces - I really felt like a reasonable rider! Then we ventured out onto the track, walked one way and she had a couple of mini spooks but nothing major, then trotted all the way around the other way, past bushes and hedges and horses and up and down a little hill. What a star!!
Then I rode Cam today. I cantered her online and thought she looked quite rideable - why did I have a problem? The saddle didn't slip that much forward. She was very relaxed so hopped on after about 10 minutes, did some follow the rail walk and trot, then asked for canter. well, I got almost two laps of the arena sitting into her canter! So pleased. Usually about half a lap and I'm not sitting into it. She needed a rest - I could feel her poor heart going but she wasn't stressed mentally at all - I had a COMPLETELY loose rein - it was actually flapping! Then came down to a halt and just stood, then we set off in the other direction, again getting almost two laps. The right rein is a little harder for me to sit to than the left, but I still managed, and she stayed happy and relaxed. After another little rest I tried another test - trot to the log, pop over and see what gait we came out in. I haven't 'jumped' her for about 6 years - she used to trot up or canter very fast in, jump and LAUNCH off into a very fast canter full of brace with me pulling vainly on the reins and the bit sliding through her mouth. Not a good look, and my heart was pounding more than hers in those days! Today we trotted up, popped over and she trotted calmly away in the same rhythm - in both directions....hmmm what a difference. It was only a tiny log I know but we have to start agin somewhere...

I didn't ride Rafiki today as she was a bit sore - think she has either stepped on a berberis prickle as we had the hedges cut or has a sore muscle? She's been a bit sore a few days but exercise has eased it - maybe a muscle. Didn't want to do too much today after yesterdays good session. Hopefully tomorrow...

Love this stuff!!

4 comments:

  1. I love reading this stuff! Lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rafiki sounds incredible...think you are doing wonders with both of them...keep it coming.
    Cheers
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow - how cool - did you have to correct back to the rail with Cam at all in canter?
    Rafiki - what a star - and you - well done for riding in that strange environment...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rafiks is such a good girl.
    I couldn't follow the rail right round in canter and I didn't try, as the corners are too tight, but she definitely did a long oval not a circle, and stuck to the long side.

    ReplyDelete