I was thinking I wouldn't have time to blog before I go but have to just write this. I sneaked a look at the new mastery dvd, Lindas session on game of connection, at luchtime today and it reassured me I was on the right track mentally and physically.
I have always really enjoyed Mary Wanless books and dvds (apart form the accent..) (specifically books Ride with your Mind Masterclass and 'The New Ride With Your Mind Clinic') and have tried 'stabilizing' my body by improving the 'tone', and it really seemed to work with Cam. It makes sense to me too,I haven't tried it with Rafiki. BUT what concerned me was that I was 'going away' from Parelli and not being 'true' as it was so different to freestyle riding and fluidity. (despite there being 'no rules'..) But Cam was still telling me this structured position which felt more 'stiff' to me 'helped' her. One of the Parelli dvds last year talked about improving core strength and the difference between rider posture for freestyle and finesse, and I was thinking well maybe that IS the difference and as Cam is RBI she likes the 'security' and contact of the finesse style posture. But overdone she can't deal with it. But I didn't watch the dvd enough to be sure that was correct.
Anyway, to get to the point, this months dvd answered my brain query perfectly!!! Seems BO now - of course Mary Wanless is teaching the Finesse position because 'most' people go straight there without the foundation, so the principles were correct and did/do work but only in certain situations (and with certain horses..)
I really hope enough parelli people get out and about and into competition to show that we aren't just a bunch of rope wigglers, can ride our horses and are aware of the 'dressage' position as well as the 'freestyle position'. Tests my emotional fitness when normal people assume that Parelli people can only ride freestyle....
I've started writing down what I really really want to improve on the course - top of the list is balance point, and next is 'core' engagement - I think I've got the beginnings of the engagement posture but want to be sure. I know I'm nowhere near being able to use it properly on a horse but I can always drive my car and the quadbike in a finesse position!!
Starting to get excited now as only 2 more days of (very full on) work. ooh I'm going to learn so much and hopefully can share heaps with anyone that wants to know. And, to my pleasant suprise, I got the feeling that Roger thinks this might not be my only trip to the USA.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Woohoooooooo!!!!
ReplyDeletecx
I kind of knew that was where I am heading but the map's missing lol, in my brain anyway lol. Have an awesome time.. This time next year I'll be nearly at the end of my course..
ReplyDeleteGo Jane...Give it your all...more trips WOW!!!! Cheers and see you when you get back...most of all have fun XX
ReplyDelete