Friday, September 4, 2009

cantering into the corner 'previously known as spooky'

Had a great ride yesterday. It was pretty windy again so i thought we would warm up strong, and think about equalising draw and drive - with Cam (as with all the others..hmmm) I have heaps of draw and am not so good on the drive. We played with OLP 3 but just put 1 foot on it, pole, and an (empty) gumboot (lol still lots of wet mud in the arena gateway and paddocks so I change into my paddock boots in the arena) OLP6 (circling and change of direction) and OLP5 weave.
She didn't keep out on the end of the 22ft initially in trot so I insisted, and she did one of her defiant 'kick outs' then was perfect! She also offered a lovely canter on both reins. To keep the softness I have to turn with her though as the 22 ft isn't quite long enough to give her a big enough circle at this stage. can't wait to get into the paddock and use the 45ft again.

Then we saddled up and off we went. SO much more motivation and softness. We did quite a few transitions and most of them didn't have that little 'hop' into trot that can be so unseating or the ears back. She was even following the rail better than ever before. I kept turning her short across the arena so we didn't go to 'that' corner and she became more insistent she would like to, so we went to it and stopped, and she had a bit of carrot. Then we went to trot and she kept drawing back to it - this was now very LB so I softly asked across to the other corner and stopped. rest. Then we went and wow things were different - we did a little finesse softly flexing one way then the other along the long side, getting rid of the little brace that was there. I asked her to trot towards 'that' corner and she did so very smoothly then offered the most lovely canter - we got it for 5 strides then softly stopped and I leapt off even though we hadn't ridden for as long as I had 'planned'. WHAT a difference!! It wasn't as smooth as Hebee's canter but it was the most harmonious we have been, and the stop wasn't sudden and abrupt, it was much more gentle.

I know that if any 'normal' had been watching they would have looked and thought 'terrible' but it to me isn't how it looks outline-wise that is important -it is all about how it feels to me as a partner. I know also if it had been videod i'd most likely have seen some things visually that I could have done better. There was I think a letter in savvy times about 'are you pleased with your relationship' at a clinic and most people had said no they wanted more. I thought I was perhaps 'wrong' and too easily pleased as I am ALWAYS pleased with our sessions - something good always comes out of them. But I think as long as you are progressive and ask for a little more each time then you stay positive and don't beat yourself up too much. Just a thought. Works for me, anyway - I always seem. to have so much fun. Just need to keep progressing...even if I'm 90 before I get my level 4!!

4 comments:

  1. Jane - I think what you are doing is sooooo much better. It was the Carol Coppinger clinic where she said that any thoughts we have that our horse is not good enough they feel as pressure....so this way all they feel is your pleasure - can only improve from there as they will try to gte more of the same GREAT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! Progress 1% everytime you play with your horse is what i was told. If you will be 90 that makes me about 100 ha! Ha!. Rename spooky corner to "CC Corner" CC for Canter and Carrot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's the journey not just the destination, eh. Long may your journey last!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting - The feeling of pressure opposed to feeling pleasure...Wouldn't we respond so well to that too..thanks that's an easy way of putting it...all to do with feelings and emotions. How wonderful- what's that saying take one small step at a time to get huge growth in the end...Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete