Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Rafiki's turn

Today I had another play with Rafiks - it was REALLY windy but she was a star - ended up having a short bareback ride. Initially we did some clicker stuff and vocal commands just because she really responds to this and finds it fun and motivating. She learned 'over' ie get away from me sideways' really quickly. Then we put these into practice by playing with OLP 5 weave and keeping her off me - I know you are usually not supposed to teach verbal commands early but it really seems to reassure her and if that works for her thats great. Maybe it is not that 'early' either...!! we ended up trotting up the weave with her really thinking which side of the cone to go. Then as she got that we moved to trotting over logs - previously she couldn't do that and really didn't see the point but with a bit of incentive she tried so hard!! My plan was to long line her a bit but she was so good and tuned in that I thought I'd take the opportunity to have a short walk ride.

Weird, I almost feel safer on her bareback - I think because I can get off very quickly if I need to. Anyway, we played with vocal commands and weaving in and out of the cones - I think if we hadn't done it online to set it up she would have struggled - she gets kind of 'lost' when I'm on board. She loved the verbal reassurance though. She did get confused once and I confused her further I think by saying 'walk on' so she just went faster backwards!! I just waited til she stopped, rubbed, said 'walk on' and off we went, forwards. She was clearly confused with 'aeroplane ears' out to the side but for once she didn't get upset. I have noticed when she is unsure she swishes her tail - previously that has made me nervous as I thought she was getting ready to buck but now I know she just needs reassurance. It really helped her using an open rein to show her where to go.

We finished when we got some nice turns around the cones and she stopped immediately I asked. I leapt off and took her for some grass. I think she really enjoyed her session as even when I took her back to the others she didn't want to stay with them, and wanted to come with me, back to the barn. So I gave her a little pile of hay and the others came to join her. Then, later on when I went to 'get' Cam Rafiki neighed and trotted to me!! So cute - I did always think when we 'connected' that she would be very loyal.

I had a brief play with Cam and the clicker - she LOVES it. She didn't meet me so I thought a low energy food oriented short play might be good and wow did that work!! She did lovely canter circles curving around me on about 15ft of rope - and this is the horse who a few weeks ago I thought 'physically couldn't' canter comfortably ona 22ft...hmmm how interesting!! We also played with jumping the logs on a circle clicking each time she jumped, then rewarded after a few circles. Both she and Rafiki were actively looking for the logs to jump so I didn't have to keep asking them out - love this stuff!!

1 comment:

  1. you are making awesome progress Jane. Already jumping over the logs on a circle - fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete