Roger helped me move these logs into the arena last week - my plan is to get Cam jumping them smoothly online so I can start jumping again onboard. It was so funny when we moved them in as we used the quabike and the trailer. Rafiki as usual was fascinated and particularly loves the quadbike - ended up licking the inside of the box on the front. Then she started fiddling with the handlebars and Roger rushed to take the keys out before she had those. Cam of course was very sceptical, and Shiraz nearly as much. Merlot though predictably was very interested, playing with the logs and then he thought he'd put his foot on the trailler - it does look quite like a pedestal!! However as it is old and wouln't take his weight I quickly asked him off. I must get inot the habit of taking my camera when we are going to do things like this....
This is Rafiki - I've been trying to get a bit more weight on her and I think it is starting to happen.
Having done NOTHING all week (and I think Vicki has posted with pics about 5 times since my last one! - go girl!) I had a play with Cam Rafiki and Merlot yesterday. Becky came over for the afternoon which was nice - she's been trying some of the Clinton Anderson exercises, many of which of course are similar to parelli. One interesting one is a very short range circling game where you ask the horse out and do a kind of travelling circle, and the horse bends around you. Think this will help Cam as she is so 'straight' and inflexible through her body. Will try it and let you know. I had to think how to teach it to her as the book said to put your stick up high but of course if I do that that is her signal to do sideways towards me!! Shows the dangers of mixing people's programmes. I'm sticking with parelli but if something else comes up that might be useful and I can teach in a way that doesn't contradict or confuse then I'll think about it.
I decided to leave the twins in the paddock by themselves again so they get a bit more used to it. I gave them some hay and didn't hear a peep out of them except for a single whinny from Shiraz. Even better than last time and we haven't done separation practice since for a good couple of weeks.
We had to try the excercise Becky told me about after a big liberty play in the arena. Cam showed she did not want to be online initially but wanted to canter and jump, so we did that at liberty. I don't know how many times she jumped the 2 barrels, sometimes her idea and sometimes mine. We got some changes of direction, too, canter down to trot and up again to canter - not had that before on line, let alone at liberty!! After about 15 minutes she was ready to focus a bit more and had kicked the fluff out of her heels - she was pretty 'sparkly' on the spring grass, even though there isn't much here - had to buy some hay from the guy who makes ours. Lucky he is only about 5 minutes up the road.
I had a play with Rafiks, too. Needed to get some respect back - she was a bit 'sluggish' about doing things so I upped the phases and got her eyes riveted on me!! Her expression changes in milliseconds from Miss Grumpy to Miss 'I'll do whatever I can for you ma'am' - so funny!! She didn't buck, either, which was interesting, as I have noticed her having a bit of a bounce in the paddocks. We got a lovely relaxed canter online without her sucking her lip up. So we stopped and I hopped on bareback for 5 minutes. She was good - less opposition reflex and felt more confident - when she gets worried she wants to trot but we didn't get that feel, for the first time I think. She is still landing very toe first with her feet though, so need to adjust my trim more. Basically they all need more mileage, under saddle including me. Cam lands pretty much heel first in walk but toe first in trot.
Then I had a brief play with Merlot. It really is all about play with him, too. I only had one treat left so kept it for the end. We basically did what we did when Vicki and Hana were over, except a LOT more vigorously and covering the whole arena. I ran as fast as I possibly could and he cantered, then I'd stop suddenly and race off the other direction and he'd virtually spin - he'd plant his hq and lift his fq and turn to race after me again. we also included the logs in the game, which he kind of jumped but really just took in his stride. Then I asked him onto the pedestal and gave him his treat. we were both puffed - but such fun. I have never had a horse like him that just wants to be with you and PLAY!!! We hardly ever seem to use a halter - note to self - must do that so he learns to follow a feel. We have been doing some tieing practice though for short sessions and he is good.
I didn't have much more time but had a little play with Shiraz at liberty too - just standing on the pedestal, trotting to the barrels, putting her foot on it , disengaging hq etc. She really enjoyed the good brush that Becky gave her though, and thoroughly enjoyed the tail/hq rub - almost a bit too much!!
Then Becky helped me measure Cam's and Rafiki's feet - I'd measured them earler in the week but wanted a second opinion. Sadly I think it confirms they have both grown out of the Boa boots.....will have to buy a bigger size - think it wll be easy boot epics though incase I want to take Rafiks on long distance rides. (the boot has to come below the hairline for long distance) .
Need to go and finish my inside jobs so I can have a play this afternoon...

That Merlot will be a show stopper with you two doing liberty performances in the not too distant future.
ReplyDeleteps you have given me a good idea about logs - been trying to figure out how to get one in the paddock but shopped up and joined together I could almost load into boot one at a time
ReplyDelete