Just a quick blog today - rode Cam yesterday in the arena in the hackamore yesterday when Wendy came up with her lovely LBI Inca.
had a couple of BFOs....
1) Cam no longer feels defensive of her space and pins her ears when another horse comes close....at the first L1 clinic and for a few years afterwards she would 'launch' at another horse if they came within about 5m of her, which was a bit unsettling for me. This week though she has tolerated Beckys horses being in the next pen (she even let Dougal nibble her neck...) and when riding she lightly laid her ears back once at Inca..
2) She had a bit of a spook at one point (nothing major but Inca jumped too) and my 'reaction' was left hand on withers and bend to the right - I didn't even think about it!! It was in milliseconds - I only realised I was doing it after the event...how interesting. And my heart wasn't pounding ... we just carried on.... :)
She offered canter a LOT yesterday (we have been upping the pace online) but it was always a 'soft' offer, not a "getting outta here" blind panic. So I had some practice sitting to that. BUT everytime we cantered the saddle slipped forward - I must still be bracing, as well as her tum not helping. When I took the saddle off though, there was a trace of sweat and not much ruffling!! Wendy was kind enough to let me have a short ride on Inca - oooh LBI feel so different and 'comfy' yet responsive - feels like a leg on each corner - so secure. Really reminded me of riding Hebee, and also a lovely old dobbin called Domino that I used to ride in the UK sometimes, when I worked at a trekking centre on Dartmoor who was definitely LBI - she normally took care of beginners.
Haven't done anything yet today..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

sounds like a lovely day.... isn't it great when you find you are unconsciously comepetent
ReplyDelete