Wednesday, January 20, 2010

where do you get a horse like that - she looks like she's your mate...

Yay, someone said that classic line to me tonight when Rafiki and I went to our first show/training evening, just to walk around!!! I could not believe it. We were there with the only carrot stick and parelli bag in the place. Rafiki loaded travelled and unloaded perfectly. She jumped only slightly when a horse was being unloaded nearby, and it leapt in one go from the top of the ramp to the ground - it also broke free from it's tie shortly afterwards (owned by a professional eventer..). She just put her head down and ate. We moseyed off around the grounds, her wearing a bridle (as she had to to be there -but halter over the top. A young girl came up to us and asked about her - was she a schoolmaster as the girl was looking for one 'and yours is so nice and quiet not like the rest of the horses here'...I gently explained it was our first real outing in public and Rafiki had only had 7 rides....!!!

She was absolutley 150% LB and relaxed, even when other horses charged past. So I took the opportunity to get on, and have a quiet ride in the arena - she was totally focussed on me - ears back listening and not in the least interested in other horses, We even played figure of eight at the trot! After a short ride we walked off outside the arena, and I hopped off. We headed to the 'office' float which she offered to load onto, but I distracted her. I got talking to an older lady, and thats when she said that classic phrase... 'where do you get a horse like that - she looks like she's your mate'... could have knocked me down with a feather but Rafiki was the perfect partner - when I stood on the mounting block and tapped the saddle she politely moved towards me, she stayed focussed and attentive the whole time, except for when she wanted to eat and I was standing chatting...

I always knew she was 'loyal' but I never expected feedback like that so soon...proud to be Parelli!! VBG!!!

4 comments:

  1. awwww - how awesome - well done - all the hard work and time it takes has paid off!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you. Come a long way just from that lesson in Clevedon. You must be so happy and having you Mum arriving today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fab day. What great examples you two are!
    c x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thanks,
    yes we have come a long way - still a long way to go though....
    look forward to seeing you three musketeers soon!
    Thanks Hana yes it is lovely to see mum again - she looks so well!
    J.

    ReplyDelete