Friday, January 1, 2010

What an amazing week!

I have had such an amazing week with my horses, especially Rafiki. Thanks family for letting me spend horse time too!



Sunday 27th I plucked up my courage and took Rafiki to a local training centre as it is only 5 minutes away, just as an outing. We have been intensively preparing with loading for a week, and I had taken her out on a 3 minute trip and back home, unloaded then immediately loaded again no probs, so time for a real journey. Well, she was great. Really built my confidence and marched straight back on the float to come home. I learned a lot while we were out, too, that she can move and has good paces once she gets going...



Then Monday/Tuesday I had another great learning session with loading someone elses young horse - learned a lot.

Wednesday I took Rafiki out on the 3 minute trip then Thursday we were off to the training centre again. Another amazing time.Rafiki was a little more excited on arrival but I sent her straight back on the float no probs, then we spent 40 minutes trotting and cantering online - she LOVED it!! Her expression was so positive and enthusiastic the whole time...think she really likes to move and I have been far too slow and boring. I learned more about starting horses, and 'long lining'- we were able to do it at a fast trot, including change of direction. Not strictly Parelli I know, but something different and we both enjoyed it. Then loading up to come home was even better - she put herself straight on and in position...but she did paw a bit on the way.



Gave her a rest today - but guess who was first to meet me today.. Rafiks!! She beat Merlot. In between times I've ridden Cam 3 times in the cradle bit - I only tried it online on Sunday but she was so settled with it I hopped on and had a ride. She still gets bracey in trot but if I do it long enough she softens. Tomorrow I'm going back to hackamore and freestyle. She is a bit of a pudding at the mo so the saddle slips forward - need to gradually build her fitness and skin toughness as she got a little girth rub on sunday - all fine now.

Rafiki's next outing will be on Monday....somewhere else this time with a longer journey!



Happy new year and have fun!



I'm off to plan my next levels assessment (online L3) for Cam..the end of this month so we'd better get our act together..

3 comments:

  1. What a refreshing post to read. You sound so happy and confident and it's so good to share your success. I am kind of with you in my head imagining the fun as I can't, as you know, do this myself at the moment. cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jane - awesome week.... longer trip... how bout our place lol?
    Just think L4 online prep is what you are doing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments - am having a great time but aware others are not so fortunate...glad you are enjoying the posts, anyway.

    Soon be time for a trip up your way i think Vicki, but not just yet...online L4 prep - woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete