Sunday, February 27, 2011

partnership.....

I was able to have a short session with Cam on wednesday as the visitors had gone temporarily (now back again - finally go on March 12th for anyone wondering..!).

Wow what a session - we had a short play with what can we do in walk, then I sat on the fence in search of inspiration and she sidled up and invited me to get on!! So I said yes please lets do a bareback passenger lesson at walk for a couple of minutes. she took me....around the arena twice, following the rail PERFECTLY and stopping in the corners!! What a partner - thats what we had been practising (but with corrections..) before she was sick. I was so pleased I leapt off and gave her a few minutes grass...

Then I was able to have a short ride yesterday - same kind of thing - but with a couple of corrections this time - we did go further tho. I played from Z5 with Rafki on 2 22fts, and as we trotted along she looked sound. This is the first real play we have had since ?early January? She looked very sensible and rideable so I thought I'd sit on for a few seconds...then I thought I'd do lateral flexion - then walk a few steps - all was great, relaxation and connection. Then I thought - I wonder if we could do a very few steps of trot but I ddin't want to push it - next thing, without me consciously asking she offered a gorgeous smooth trot, but I stopped after about 3 or 4 strides as I didn't want to upset that new laminar connection. SO pleased - she stopped softly within 2 strides..... I've noticed before that she picks up on my thoughts...

quite amazing that I haven't played with either horse properly for I don't know how long, but when I get on (without all the long sessions to check them out that I've done before..) they are both perfect...how interesting!!

To top it off I walked them out online today (as it was sunday and the busy road a bit quieter..) individually to somewhere neither I nor they had been before - down the main road to the neighbours drive and up towards the chicken houses. I stayed in Z 3 so I could see how unconfident they were.....Rafiki stopped once and Cam not at all.... despite lots of cars and motorbikes whizzing along about 4 m from them at around 100km an hour....we all enjoyd the quiet drive bit though...another 'breakthrough' - only simple I know but one step at a time....

2 comments:

  1. I think simple is HUGE. I can only dream about 'hopping on' with saddle and halter let alone bb! Sounds like it was all brilliant. How nice after all this time and worry about their health!
    c x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW not simple at all- especially after such a long time...gr8 that they are thinking what you are thinking at the same time- real partners and wonderful that they have recovered so well...onwards and upwards now. XX

    ReplyDelete