I have barely been on the computer since blogging last because I'm been frantic at work and out having fun with horses every spare minute!! Playing with Rafiki every day and trying to be imaginitive to stop her getting bored, doing enough to get those back muscles working. I'm very pleased that with so much more activity her back is LESS sore in both areas. The others haven't had much of a look in recently, apart from doing a bit with Cam. I rode her in the saddle for the first time for months, and she was so tense and RB we spent 20 minutes just getting her to relax. The good thing was I was able to do that from onboard - not that long ago I would have to have got off....
I had a bit of a BFO - I think the saddle slips forward 'even though her head/neck is up' (duhhh!!! seems so obvious now) because she STILL isn't relaxed with it even online, and her tense bulgy stiff back muscles slide it forward......so, I know I am right to continue with Rafiki, Rafiki is sounder than Cam too. I will slowly progress with Cam bareback and see how we go.
Back to Rafiki - she is an awesome horse - I have always felt she is very loyal (and I think I've been loyal to her) - and she just 'joins in'. Sunday I took her out to the forest with a friend - been out there 4 times, and 4 times she hasn't put a foot wrong. she got unconfident once (aka hesitates and stops still) so I hopped off and immediately she relaxed, we approached and retreated and approached and I got back on!!She was pretty tired at the end - we got a bit lost and were out for 2 hours not 1, so I got off and walked a fair bit.And, we also had a few strides of canter!!
Today I rode in the hay paddock which is very grassy - played with hill therapy which was quite good as the grass was so long it was an effort to trot and canter. Then I got on and for the first time rode her with a carrot stick and casual rein, bending to a stop (quite hard with no rail!!) and doing figure of 8 at walk...it took me at least a month to do with Cam in the arena what I did with Rafiki in a 2 acre paddock in the first session today... I know my skills are a bit better but having a different horsenality is such fun. I had to shut the float up as while I was getting my hat Rafiki put herself on - I hadn't bothered to lift the ramp as I thought she'd stay put grazing all that succulent grass...but no! last week she almost followed me through the grooms side door. I went in and just turned round in time to stop her putting her front foot up and in.. Then to finish today we played one of her now favourite games - put your nose on something while right IN the float for a treat. But it has to be a different thing each time now - she's done the light switch well and truly. Amazing how many different things she comes up with.
I heard that I have the option of completing my entry to the 1* Instructor course by completing my L3 Freestyle (I did Online and liberty with Cam last April). BUT I don't think she s sound enough to complete L3 on all the surfaces and speeds I want, so Rafiki might have to take over....not sure we can do it in 3 months tho...will have to email Lee...
Hope anyone that reads this is enjoying their horses as much as me...:)!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

How did this post slip through and I hadn't read it!!! Sounds like real fun and that your horses are enjoying their human too.
ReplyDeletex
Well I hope so!
ReplyDeleteGreat progress Jane!!
ReplyDelete