If you look closely you can see her eyes are nearly shut but she is listening to me.. This is one of her favourite spots and it is all self taught..


I decided to get Rafiki out and about as much as possible, ideally once a week.I really need to ride and she needs to get out, and we both enjoy it. So last Sunday we went to the forest. I was prepared to go out by myself, just online if necessary but I ended up meeting a friend there and our two horses supported each other very well. I feel that this is much the safest way at first, just a couple of us who are prepared to take the time it takes for each other. then we'll build to more riders later I hope.
For Rafiki the consistency was definitley me - the variety was the place and the other horses we met. Each time we met some I could feel her heart rate go up - infact she was more 'up' than she has ever been, but it felt rideable, and that she was calmly extrovert generally. When we met other horses I could feel the difference - all I needed to do was stop, push hard on her neck and wait, and she very quickly relaxed. So pleased - I was able to ride the whole time for an hour, start to finish, with no getting off!! we also had a number of trots and a couple of canters - she didn't put a foot wrong. First time we've done more than a trot out and about. She had a couple of mini potential spooks, just a feeling of uncertainty, so we stopped, retreated, re approached and she was fine. Im pleased I am able to read her so much better and that she obviously trusts me. She whinnies to me both when I'm on board and when she's in the float now, well the me on board version is actually a soft nicker. So cute!!
I was even more pleased with the way she travelled - soon as I loaded her to go home she stood relaxed, and ate hay much of the way home. Once we got home she was still eating and in no hurry to get off - exactly what I wanted!!
She was a great teacher for Merlot tonight, standing quietly on the float munching while he marched on. I fed him on there, shut it all up etc and peeked in - he didn't even lift his head out of the bucket. we've done this a few times now so once he is used to the chest bar we'll have a short trip of a few meters and unload and re-load...I want him to be as good a traveller as she now is...love this stuff! :)

Awesome you got the time to get out - always fab going for a hack....
ReplyDeleteCutie Merlot!! What a clever boy.
Shiraz is so cute too