Can't believe I am posting again but need to before I forget the details of what we have achieved today. I read the introduction and first bit of Mary Wanless's book 'The new ride with your mind clinic' in great detail yesterday and today. I have briefly read it before but wanted to 'soak' on it. In some ways it seems to contradict what I am trying to do but my body is so wobbly and Cam so sensitive that I have to refine what I am asking to cut out the 'background noise' and I love Mary's books. I've never really had the guts to go out there and experiment totally before though and didn't want to go 'against' Parelli. However, as Cam is a rbi she likes 'contact' and reassurance, so I thought if I used the tips in the book and made my body more 'solid'and toned and just moved the bits between the joints and focussed very hard on muscle tone that Cam would give me feedback good or bad, even on a casual rein.
Wow did she ever!! She LOVED it!! It was like she said 'at last -a bit of reassurance that you are up there and in control and not a wobbly passenger that I have to look after'
To start with she met me in the arena - interesting - we've done stuff and ridden almost everyday this week.....thought she might be losing interest. Then we had a brief play with figure of eight trot and circles - got nice soft trot for 4 circles after almost tagging her as she was v LB and didn't show a lot of respect. I moved the figure of eight cones to spooky corner and we approached and retreated. Granted there was no wind.
Then I hopped on with the new 'intention' and we did some follow the rail with lots (for me!!) of change of direction etc, gradually approaching the corner.She was very much more forward going relaxed and attentive. She 'wanted' to go for the corner so I stopped her several times on the way then let her go and she licked and chewed for ages - also got a carrot piece! She was ready to go soon as I was and wherever and whatever pace -how interesting. The neighbour was driving up and down on the quadbike infuriating the dogs and she looked around, but I just softly redirected and she had a big shake of the head and blew her nose very hard but not a panic snort-a 'release snort' anyway, say no more but she cleared it very effectively - not nice!!
We had a couple more circuits then stopped in the corner again and she just yawned and yawned and licked and rolled her eyes so I got off. Only rode 20mins but had to reward that.
She gave me go=whoa/hovercraft feel - any direction equally light, walk and trot, no ears back on trot departs - she offered it with ears forward, soft turns (for us) ,trying to go where I wanted on a thought and best of all relaxed every time in 'spookycorner'. Time I stopped calling it that. Interestingly, I 'led' her back out to the paddock but left the arena gate open (joins the paddock) . Then I went back and gathered up my stuff-guess who sauntered back in and came over - Miss Cam!! I found her a scrap of hay and when I went backup the hill she was settling down for a doze in the arena and Shiraz had joined her. Must have been doing something right!!
I expect it maybe different next time, especially if windy, but this week for the first time ever she has coped with distraction 100% of the time and not gone rb. Also, when I got on the last three times she has not lifted her head and tensed her neck.....
We seem to be going so slowly and she is not yet losing any tummy,but I think we've found another key. Just got to keep control of myself and take it slowly - she's given me so much feedback. I love the new 'position/intention' -is definitely not just 'relaxing' your body and it doesn't stop her forward motion - seems to encourage it so I can't be stiff - will be interesting to see how it looks on video - Becky is coming for midwinter Christmas tomorrow so hopefully we can have a play with that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment