Shiraz amazed me again yesterday. I put the other three in the pens and left her loose in the arena while I went to get thier feed. I was just opening the arena gate when I felt a little nudge - I hadn't even heard her follow me! So I stroked her and went through, then turned away.
A few seconds later I heard a clunk clunk and she was standing on the pedestal!! (This is the horse I haven't 'taught' this to at all) I smiled and walked back to the arena, so she got off and came to me.
I stroked her again then she turned away, walked to the pedestal, got on and turned and looked at me then pawed!! She then got off and came over - she obviously thought that deserved a piece of carrot!! Luckily I had my flash new camera on me (as well as a piece of carrot) so I got it on film!! I was just fiddling with it when she again turned away, walked off, got on the pedestal, turned to look at me and pawed again, again I got it on film - not a fluke!! Such a clever girl. I am trying to upload the little bit of film.
So, how did she learn - was it by watching the others, was it reasoning ?According to a lot of sources horses don't have a well developed part of the brain responsible for reasoning. It wasn't a 'conditioned' response as I've never asked her on the pedestal before. I'm sure she knew if she did something so deliberate and lb there was likely to be something it in for her... she is one smart little horse -very much a 'pony' brain I think - I hope my savvy will develop fast enough!!
What do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow that is fantastic. We talked about this last week how did Buzz know there is a scarry corner in your arena. I can see Cameo whispering behind his little hoof "hey guys stand on that box thing, she gives you a treat". LOL
ReplyDeleteWell I guess she is testing out 'what would it take to get a treat - how about if I do this?'
ReplyDeletelol
Looking forward to seeing photos...
There must be something comfortable about the pedastal like yoga, for them all to love it once they know it...
Thanks for your comments! - I'm still having a think about it.She did it again tonight when everyone was in the arena.I was right up the other end with the others and a little slower in offering a carrot -just to see what she would do - she stood and stood, 'watching me with 2 eyes and 2 ears fully focussed' as hard as she could, then soon as I put my hand in my pocket she got off it and came to me.
ReplyDelete