This is one reason why I can't take good pics....too much draw and not enough drive?? Merlot helped me soak the haynets today - I had left the hose draped over the rail, and to him it looked suspiciously like a halter rope - so...he picked it up and gave it to me!! So funny. He has also been trying to pick up the spade (by the handle of course) and the carrot stick - either end will do. A bit harder to do when your teeth slip on plastic. He'd like to be my constant companion. Most times when I leave he paces the gate, trying to come too, before tossing his head and cantering back to the others.
I trundled down the hill this morning and found the calves all enjoying the 'amenities' in the horse shed and staying out of the rain. You can see the one in the middle has a bit of a weepy eye - is much better now since he has had 3 jabs (1 to go) and eye cream a couple of times.
I started my campaign towards getting fitter and more agile yesterday - (I only scored 6 out of 10 on physical agility on the Fasttrack). I jogged/ran for about 25 minutes and realised just how unfit I was...and I swam today for 20 minutes, about 670m. To my suprise I really enjoyed it (the swim) -I'll be doing more of it and making the most of the lovely property we have....
And THEN I went and played with Cameo and Rafiki, who have been living in the arena as they are both a bit laminitic, although both fine on soft ground and Rafiki seems fine on hard ground. Rafiki was funny - she remembered last time in the arena we had done a few canter transitions and I thought she was lame til i realised she was gearing herself up to be asked to canter. So of course i didn't and we got a nice trot. Her memory is amazing - she really tries. Cam was desperate to play - they both seem much more lively the past couple of days - cooler weather has helped I think. And I have noticed how soft their noses have become with not scrabbling on the ground for weeds...
I haven't played online with Cam for ages....but she told me she isn't ready to be a complete paddock potato. We played figure of eight and I asked with a little too much energy, got canter and flying change around the cones..interesting - that is what we were starting to play with months ago, in May.... She is such a sweetheart - and so light and sensitive compared with Rafiki - just totally different horsenality - although Rafiki is sensitive it is 'different' . So then I took the halter off and we had a liberty play - I sent her out and she went out around the arena, then came straight as an arrow back to me at a really fast canter - straight infront of me when normally she goes to one side, squealed to a halt with sand flying just as I thought she couldn't stop and maybe I should move my feet, then did a little rear and rubbed her head on me really hard...just her being exuberant. So we set off for the barrel and she jumped the single barrel at liberty both ways... hmm, maybe I should carry on with her as my L3 horse but just bring Rafiki on at the same time and keep the pressure off.
Such fun when your horses want to really play!!

I have yet to experience exuberance at liberty. Reading your post I can see a little of how it might be lol. Great post! x
ReplyDeleteRunning for 25 minutes - blimey..... thats good
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are having a great time... Maybe Cam just needed a think - and some more challenges?