Thursday, December 9, 2010

The last few weeks....

I haven't blogged for a while as have been so....busy...more on that in another blog.

We had a great clinic with Jackie down at Waerenga - 22 people came on the 2nd day - 13 riders and the rest were auditors. I've tried to upload some pics but blogger isn't working properly at the moment. I realy enjoyed the lesson with Maraschino too - he is quite introvert so Vicki has done a fab job with him.
Since then I have helped Vicki out at a show - my first ever experience of in hand showing - hopefuly I didn't let Garbo down - he was great. Maraschino though was outstanding at his first show. Vicki was very savvy and while they were doing well we packed up and left.

what else..sadly Rafiki and co escaped into a grassier paddock (I suspect Shiraz lifted the tape and let them through...) and the Rafiki got slightly laminitic so I have been doing lots of research, me being me. She is on the slim side and it is not just fat ponies that get laminitis - I think she had her first bout when she had a bad accident and damaged a hind leg badly. I never realised then that she had laminitis. since then she has been tender footed on and off - soon as she gets too much grass she is affected. Also all of them were drooling a bit so I got the dentist and to my horror they all had ulcers, mainly because of the rough weeds they'd been eating. so, all are now on minimal grass and more hay - I'll be trying the track system out to see if that makes a difference....have taken some 'before' pics so we'll see how we go. The other 3 have beautiful shiny coats with no brushing, but Rafiki just doesn't look right, so I have signed up for NRC plus course again and will be testing the hay once it is cut and re-balancing her feeds, now taking much more cre of the laminitic tendency.

Hope to get back into playing very soon ...Rafiki looked sound again today.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Jane- & I think I've been busy....Hope Rafiki comes right soon...The ulcers must've been sore- looks like this summer is going to be trying if this weather keeps up...But aren't they all lucky they have us to care for them. Thankyou for organising Waerenga- I felt quite unfocused there, but I did pick soooo much up..Am trying to get fitter and upskill for Gypsy....Jackie has given me enough to go on with- especially working on keeping my energy under control...Have come away with a lot more knowledge and am picking my way through it...Not rushing on- and am slowing things down....It's computing and working a lot better now..XX Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about Rafiki. Hope she is better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about Rafiki. That's a tricky subject...
    I'm sure you enjoyed the clinic with Jackie. I got to assist with her during a course at the Colorado Campus for a day, and was sad that it wasn't for the whole course. She is awesome!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  4. The show was fun and thats the main thing... thats what it's all about... I haven't done much going to try and get G to Woodhill sands for a proper play on the 45 soon...

    Hope the track works out for you. What did the dentist do for the ulcers?
    I wonder if there are remnants of superphosphate on your paddocks from previous owners that could be causing the slight laminitis? Or have the neighbours laid it? Think I'm gonna have to get Ash's mix grass drilled next autumn with these past two droughts and a wet winter....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Rafiki is just susceptible due to having laminitis before - nothing especially to do with fertiliser, just a combination of things I think. Cam is a bit susceptible too and neither of them have as good a feet as the twins do. Thanks for the note about thetrack - we'll see! I'm the main culprit as I don't give them enough excercise, but that is changing!

    ReplyDelete