Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Not such a good ride....but 'how interesting'

Very weird ride today - Rafiki was quite introverted and did a LOT of licking - tongue out 3-4" and constant repetitive licking 30 plus times. This was while I was just sitting on her before moving! Then she'd turn and look at me and do it all again.... I wasn't sure whether to interrupt the pattern or not - whether it was displaced behaviour or introversion. I decided this time to sit it out and see what happened incase it was introversion/stress etc. She was quite grumpy when ridden so I think I'll go back to what i did before which is get assertive on the ground and get her respect, put the saddle on and play freindly and not do anything. Then gradually very slowly ride 'softly' and build it up. I ended up sitting on her for about 15 mins at the end of the session while she licked and chewed and ground her teeth too at one point - I noticed she did that when I asked her to back when she didn't want to online yesterday. Then she flapped her lips and sighed, so I got off. And THEN she gave her little whinny to me so it is very weird.... I think I know the reason for this and I have to both build her trust again AND prove I am a worthy leader....

No comments:

Post a Comment