Saturday, April 16, 2011

two better rides on two partners!

I had time to ride Rafiki and have a play with Cameo yesterday. Second play with Cam in 2 days.

The first play was amazing - she was so keen to do something and after about a minute on line decided to do some liberty in the arena. We got lovely SLOW relaxed canter around me on the 22ft so I took the line off, got nice circles 'curved in' around me at trot about 8ft away, then ran down to the single barrel where we got sideways over, then she offred to turn and jump it back towards me!! Such an amazing girl. I realise how much further forward our communication and level is compared with Rafiki online and liberty. So I am going to gently progress bareback with freestyle to see what we get. Second play the next day was very similar, but very much more exuberant - my usually RBI seemed LBE! I got draw at liberty at a very fast canter after sending her out then screech to halt infront of me! As she was so tuned in though I decided to ride. She was very sensitive but a little opinionated - I didn't think at the time of the strategy of going with her to give her nothing to argue against but will try that next time. We need to improve her responsibility of don't change gait don't change direction, and my poor use of indirect and direct rein...

Then I had an online play with Rafiki - she's back to her obliging willing self with just enough energy. So I hopped on (practising 'taxi' to collect me form the fence!)and this time got only a couple of episodes of ears back, each time when I asked her to go. I think she was expecting faster harder phases, rembering her starting under saddle I think, but I didn't do that, and after that she was fine. Focussed on FSP1 to build her confidence again, so I could practice my rein positions. She didn't get snarly at all, how interesting, when I did everything with very slow phases. Experimented by moving my leg infront of the girth to ask her front end over, and we didn't need any rein!! Doesn't work just on eyes and bellybutton just yet. After that we sat so she could lick and chew - I counted this time - 82 steady licks constantly with tongue coming out about 3-4" before she had a few seconds break, then she did it again, about another 30. I think it is a digesting thought rather than true introversion....but because I have discovered she is extreme LBE but on the cusp of LBI she is 'challenging' to read so I feel a whole lot better about being confused.....

3 comments:

  1. Not you too!? I just found out from our Horsenailty report that Breeze is RBE/LBE, totally on the cusp! It does make them challenging to read, eh? That's a good idea, counting the licks. Might have to try and remember to do that myself! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the number of licks was amazing - I knew it was a lot - but THAT many???

    Good luck Cilla with your special girl!! Interesting - I didn't realise she was extrovert - for some reason i thought intro, but maybe thinking of dear Lizzie.....

    ReplyDelete