Thursday, May 28, 2009

BFO's....and what a great day for me AGAIN!!!

Had an interesting day today. I decided to practice the separation thing again, and trailer loading as well as take Rafiki for a walk as the weather was so good.

Rafik and I set off into the other paddock having given the others some hay. She thought she was headed for the float - how interesting!! We turned right and went up the hill slightly, then retreated back after a few minutes to see what response -nothing. All were eating. Then went up to the top of the hill -Rafiks isn't very fit -she was puffing more than me....



We peeped through the hay paddock but could see nothing and hear nothing, so progressed to the lawn - she likes the clover in it! I undid the narrow gate into the neighbours paddock and squeezed her through under the tree -she wasn't concerned at all - head straight down to eat. I decided to stay back in Z 3 4 or 5, and see what happened. I know how Cameo feels about this paddock but it is only the second time Rafiks has been in it - usually they have some very large cattle with horns in, including a bull (without horns but still a bull). Average cattle I don't mind too much,but not keen on angus bulls or big cattle with horns.

Well, Rafiks strode out down the hill towards the pond - I had to gently ask her not to trot. Yay the boat was still there - Rafiks hadn't seen this before or got further than the pond on the one time she has been in the paddock. When Cameo saw the boat she immediately stopped and I spent 10 minutes approaching and retreating, finally getting to within about 5m of it. It was pulled up on the causeway,which is maybe 1m wide, water one side and a drop the other. With Cameo I had to retreat home as ran out of time when we were here before. Rafiki saw the boat and stopped about 5m away(as close as Cam had ever got...) we waited about 30 seconds and she put her head up and down, then walked straight to it and put her nose on it, me in Z4. Then she walked on across the causeway, me way back in z 5 incase she worried,which she didn't.She was headed for a patch of grass next to the duck shooting structure!! She had a mouthful or two then on up the hill - again offering trot, which I restrained.I think she trots to avoid using her hq, which is suprising as she has so much muscle there. She was walking all the time with head up and alert,hindlegs coming under nicely, but not worried. Nice to see she can come off her forehand!!

We got to the top of the hill and ambled around and between a few stumps- discovered a lovely log between two trees which make an arch-must ask if I can jump the horses over once I've checked it out. The big cattle were in the paddock the other side of the (very quiet) road. They saw us and skipped and bounced and bellowed. Rafiks didn't care at all. A car came past and I just remembered - I have never taken her on a real road with cars before....paddocks are next to a busy road but she hasn't been that close before - when I tried her out it was a very rural area - she is ok with tractors and quadbikes!! Anyway,she completely ignored the car. We made our way along and suddenly some dogs started barking and bouncing up and down, and a monster shetland pony appeared in a cover!! That did make her look -she stopped still and I could see her heart pounding although she didn't move . So we retreated. Then we approached - less heart pounding -she wanted to approach further but I've seen her scare herself before so wouldn't let her. I re-directed her to the verge and she started snatching at the grass, not 100% relaxed. We retreated and approached again, then I thought it was time we went back past the cattle and to see how Cam and the twins were handling it. She was a lot more relaxed by now but not 100%.



We proceeded up the road accompanied by bouncing bellowing cattle - no reaction from Rafiks. So we went to 'their' side of the road - they got even more skittish but she still didn't care - great!! I think I know how Cam would have 'reacted'!! The bull was getting quite noisy so we thought we'd better stop upsetting him. Another car came past,a lot faster - zero reaction or response - I am thinking more and more Rafiks is the horse to focus on and build my savvy with - maybe Cam needs more than I thought. ....



We had an uneventful trip home - again just nose on the boat,have a quick drink out of the pond and snack on some grass -I cannot believe I spent the whole time in z 3 4 or 5 and she didn't go rb once. WOW!!!! When I think how she used to be....



The others were fine -been on their own for nearly an hour -fantastic!! We went down the paddock to the float - Rafiks wanted to graze next to it, so I allowed for a few minutes then asked her on. My goal for today was to stay on for 'some' time. She soon backed off but very lb. I asked her on again and again she backed off, but head was low and seemed 100% LB. So I stood on the ramp, asked her on and when she thought about going off just tapped her hq-she walked forward. Hmmmmm.

She backed off again and I allowed her to get halfway down the ramp then asked forward from the halter - she came forward very softly..Hmm again!! I gave her a bit of carrot while I had a think,then asked her off.



She is not RB or worried. I am the worried one.....what I had noticed was as soon as I got off our property onto the neighbours I became very fumbly with the rope and 'creepy' and ineffective.....I knew I was more worried about the float than she was but this is ridiculous - just realised IT IS NOT ABOUT THE FLOAT!!! It is about MY confidence and ego in not looking an idiot!!! I have been so fortunate in being able to quietly practice and fall over my ropes and stick and feet that I haven't thought about other people BUT as soon as I get out my confidence is in shreds.....mainly because I care what they think,but I shouldn't!!! I admire parelli people that have to keep their horses in 'Normalsville'even more -I hadn't realised how bad my'phobia' was but at least I now know what it is about. I think that's the same reason why I go to pieces infront of most people (as a lot of us do..!)even at home.....



BIG BFO!!!! At least now I know what to work on -that and realising I hadn't ever practiced stage 2 of float loading properly .....



Having had a think I asked Rafiks back on - and realised- my 'send' is c***, I confuse Rafiks with my rope - she doesn't know when I lift the rope (otherwise she steps on it)whether that is forwards or back.

I played around with the divider and she was fine. She consistently stayed on for 10 mins even when Merlot whinnied, and went back to the ramp and on again a few times but was essentially 'on' the float for 20 minutes...when she realised I did mean stay on she started trawling the floor for hayseeds - not a RB action!!!

Hmm again!!

Thank you so much Hana for listening to my rambles tonight -think I have got a plan worked out now since talking with you - will 'move closer stay longer' and NOT blast through my thresholds yet again.... I can make a programme of it as am off most off Saturday, and finish at 3 pm for my next working week so have some hours of daylight. Husband will just have to understand.

So I won't go out tomorrow with Rafiks as planned but I WILL take at least one horse for a walk tomorrow, work on thresholds and work on that B*****stage 2 of float loading!!



This is a long post....haven't even got to what I did with Cam.

They were all quiet when I got back to the paddock with Rafiks -they didn't even move or whinny- that is a first!!So I went and had a cup of tea then came back - rejuvenated! Cam was very dozy still and after I had looked at her hq came up to me. We slowly put the halter on and she was fine. Then just as we got inside the arena, I noticed her glaze over,so I sat down. And sat and sat. It seemed ages but after almost 5 minutes she licked and chewed and pushed me with her nose. We went over to the pens, and I took her cover off, rubbed her and put her bareback pad on -she stayed still but glazed over again!! How many times has she done this and I haven't noticed...funny I noticed it in the Dunes Lake horse but not my own - how interesting....she still 'does' stuff but doesn't focus or look at me...not a case of not giving two eyes and ears -she does that but the light in her eyes isn't 'on' when she does it - it is so subtle....

So I sat on the fence and waited -it took almost 7 minutes then she licked and chewed and sighed and shook her head AND moved into position!! Amazing. I took a piece of carrot out of my pocket and instantly she was 'back'with me properly. I slowly sat on her and her head came up (as usual!) so we sat - forgot to look at the time, was focussing on how she felt. After a long while her head drooped and she had a proper doze, and rested a leg,and at that time I felt her body almost shake and widen - think she had been holding her breath and just let it out....funny how wide she felt- I always thought she felt narrow -maybe she had always held her breath...

After a while she decided to move, so Ilet her then after a few steps she stopped and I very softly asked for lateral flexion with two fingers - she felt it and turned - no brace - how interesting, then she snatched it back. She set off again and I aimed my energy at a barrel with carrot piece on it-she found it and instantly was'with me' again - so we went to the next barrel with enthusiasm -and I got off!!

What a day-AND to hear I'd passed online with L2++ -so pleased!!

Trying not to beat myself up about not noticing Cam's glazedness fully before though.. will be interesting to see how she is tomorrow..

3 comments:

  1. just wanted to say again AMAZING!!! play time with both girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you did today with Cameo will blow her mind - that's fantastic - good on your for ending it there and waiting for her.

    And Rafiki sounds like a true LB now... remind me of her horsenality again? What a great big walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you for reading and commenting - it was so long!! I get a lot out of writing it though...

    Guess who was first to meet me today - Cam!! After saying hello she took herself into the arena and stood by the pens....I stroked her then went and put the halter on Merlot and called them into the next paddock for some grass...

    Rafiks I suspected initially was LBI/RBI (before horsenalities) as she seemed so 'quiet' but then she 'turned into'the quadripolar extreme (for me)dominant 'agressive' horse soon as I got her home. I think she is really mild/moderate LBE.

    ReplyDelete