
Had a lovely afternoon playing mainly with Rafiks but also Cam (and Shiraz at liberty -got stick-to-me at trot and we have barely played it!!) -I am so lucky!!
I started off with some 'separation' practice as it is a while since Rafiks has left the others. I left her in the arena with some hay and the others in a paddock next door while I sorted out gates etc. However she left her hay and came to find me! Not too many worries there.
We had a small carrot hunt in the arena, just to tune her in - I didn't want to wind her up and make her move a lot as we haven't done very much recently -just wanted to work on the relationship. She didn't seem to need to be online so we didn't put the halter on straight away.

Once the halterwas on we approached and retreated, just for a couple of minutes out of sight at first. Merlot stood by the gate and looked but the others just grazed.We extended the distance, driving from z 5, heading for a nice grazing spot, and came back after 4 minutes - Cam was looking too but no whinnying- Shiraz was eating. We did the same again and no-one was looking- they were all eating.
So stage 2 -friendly by the float.I was 'driving' softly from Z5 -almost more of a passenger as she knew where I wanted to go - to the grassy bit where she normally gets shod. However,the float was nearby and it isn't usually.The moment she saw it she stopped, then put her head down and headed straight for it. She was trying to climb on it sideways and as she isn't the most athletic with her legs I redirected her. Off and on a few times, off being my idea before it was her idea, then a bit of grazing next to it. Then we went into the barn,where she has only been once. No trouble with that- she 'found' a few scraps off chaffhage but was more interested in putting her nose on various things!! Then I directed her back on the float-again no issues-very pleased!! As there was still no noise from the others we went for a walk up the metal drive to the house- interesting she is SO toe first with her shod front feet but almost heel first with the unshod backs.She seems quite comfortable on stones though. Then we went to see the calves in the hay paddock and the others spotted us, but didn't whinny, just stood and looked.
Back to the paddock and thought we'd have some undemanding time -how interesting!! The other 3 stood at the top in their own little herd, snoozing, and when I took the halter off and sat on the trough edge Rafiks wandered off a few feet away from me and the others and just stood and looked at the view. She stood for about 5 minutes then came back and had a drink,then presented her side to me for a scratch. I scatched her so hard and obviously in the right spot she bent right around and I was worried she'd hurt her leg on the trough edge! We moved away,and I remembered how much she likes being scratched between her teats -far too personal for Cam to ask for that!! That was bliss for her,than I stopped and she did a big yawn and lick and chew.We just sat for a while -and shehada snooze - the others hadn't moved. Then eventually I got up and went back to the arena -she came too.
So I thought I'd do a bit with the ball -the first time for her.Halter on, no issues with following the ball - she thought if she put her nose on it she should have a bit of carrot, so she did have a couple.Then we headed back to her haypile - I bounced the ball everywhere-she turned to watch a couple of times but barely stopped chewing, so we progressed to putting it on her back,rolling it down her neck, dropping it off her tail, bouncing it against her sides etc - all in about 2 minutes!! She is just amazing and just SO different to Cam. Rafiki used to have z 5 insecurities but we seem to have got over them for now.
I called the others into the arena and put the twins in the pens. They were interested in the ball but Cameo was not. I started bouncing it about 20 feet away and her head went up and she moved away.I bounced it for a good 10-15 minutes going backwards and forwards along that 20ft line until she licked and chewed, but didn't really relax....the others were totally ignoring it-and the twins haven't seen it either. As it was getting dark I decided to stop -gorgeous sunset!!
Once again,I am thinking, should I change so Rafiki is my levels horse and Cam the babysitter?? Now Rafiki is less extreme in all quadrants she is quite consistent, a mild/moderate LBE and i can read her a whole lot better.Cameo is almostalways tense to a degree, whereas Rafiki is relaxed 99% of the time but if she does get tense can explode. BUT I am super careful not to let her go there. Rafiki also almost always comes up to me and positively seems to enjoy going out and doing things- she is also a whole lot more confident in the float. Cameo seems quite happy being a paddock potato and a pet/babysitter- think I am making up my own mind, but anyone who reads this, what do you think?? Although I am not the most confident rider, every time I have ridden Rafiki (about 12 times now) she has behaved perfectly. I have got off a few times though (as I have with Cam).
Help -any thoughts??
I still haven't heard back about my audition so not too worried about having to start again with Rafiks - except for the $!!
Thanks!!


well - I think it's a fine idea... but you wouldn't have to re-do your auditions you already passed just because you have a different horse do you?
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great play afternoon...
Just a blog hint with photos.... use CENTRE always and also LARGE size and that way no words squeeze down the side... :-)
Thanks for the pic hints Vicki- will try that. Guess what - heard this morning that I passed L2 ++ and trailer load (Cam's idea!) was L3!! So now I really don't know about Levels horses....that shouldn't really affect things but it was a higher score and better feed back than expected.
ReplyDeleteTrailerload is only stage 1 tho - our stage 2 is not v good although stage 3 is normally pretty good. I am just so lucky to have a choice though...
Heya Jane, great to read the last 2 posts on here! I think you have really answered your OWN question again and again :) HUGE congratson the pass too!! thats awesome VERY proud of you (and all ponies involved in savvy gaining)
ReplyDeleteThanks Bonni,
ReplyDeleteI think I have answered it too.....ponies are very tolerant fortunately!!