Monday, May 18, 2009

Take the time it takes.....

Had a fun day today – Wendy came over with her lovely girl Inca for the first time. The paddocks were so wet we could only do arena stuff.

I decided to take the time it takes with Cameo (right brain introvert) right from when she first saw me as I had all day. I ‘know’ this stuff but often don’t fully follow through and REALLY take the time, trying to notice every little expression (why not….? I think because usually I think – ‘I have to do 10 000 things today’ and Cameo knows she is ‘on the list’ – hmm… focus on priorities – horse time! Note to me - This is why I haven’t progressed much with loading and taking the float out – never have time to do it right but always have time to do it over and over – well, not any more. )

As I thought, she didn’t take a lot of notice when she first saw me, and I waited outside the paddock. The others did though. When they had all had a think I went in, and out and around past them. Merlot was the first to come over, followed by Shiraz and Rafiki. Shiraz was very keen to be with me, so I gave her a good scratch with the halter then put it on for more scratches then took it off. She stuck to me like glue!! Then Rafiki wanted a go, so we did the same – unfortunately her near fetlock is a bit swollen –not sure if it is from bouncing around in the mud or from the cut she got – think she has twisted it slightly. Merlot was his mouthy self so we had a little ‘put the halter in the mouth’ session again. By this time Cameo was fascinated by what they were doing so came over. She had a nice rub with the halter too then happily let me put it on. I’ve consistently played around with putting the halter on and off all three but not Cameo recently, and it shows….Shiraz followed us to the arena again and I had to gently ask her back.

We allowed Cam and Inca to touch noses and although Inca was very polite Cam behaved as expected – a squeal and a strike!! She was clearly expecting me to ‘do’ stuff ‘to’ her so I put her in the pen and promptly walked away – she was riveted!!! I went to get my boots and Wendy told me that while I was away Cameo yawned and stuck her head and neck up vertically and kept yawning with her eyes rolling all the time until I got back – how interesting!! She turned her face away just slightly when I went to halter her, so I took the hint and turned away – it didn’t take many seconds before her nose was curved around me and she was cuddling up - love this stuff!!!! We very slowly worked our way out into the arena and she ‘found’ her little incentive treats in the corners – played 'friendly on the move' with the rope and she was a bit better. She appears mostly lb these days but flips to rb very easily. I had to change to the 22ft when I was playing with the ball - she will ‘tolerate’ it but is not yet comfortable –she was confident enough to push it at the end though. Then I put the bareback pad on and did a few circles in the least scary end of the arena - yay we got a canter circle without her falling over or going rb. She is much more confident on the footing now I have added sand to cushionride. I hopped on – she was happy to park at the fence, and lateral flexion was softer –she allowed me to touch her face for more than 5 seconds !! First time I have ridden bareback for about 6 months I think. We played a little with figure of eights then I asked for trot - very pleased as she didn’t launch or ‘jump’ into trot as she so often does – hopefully as a result of me taking things so slowly – must remember that….! I think Wendy was surprised how much ‘spring’ she had for a little horse….I felt very confident trotting around – not all that many months ago I wouldn’t have been that confident bareback on a windy-ish day with a strange horse in the arena – thanks for your savvy Wendy in looking after Inca. We got a few lovely soft upwards transitions and a smooth downwards one –just a smooth stop on a breath out but the best we have had!! Normally when I do that she stops very quickly and I tip forward – have been focussing on sitting back and lifting my chin – another ‘BFO’ I think – balance is so much better if I remember to do that. Then I got straight off!!

I couldn’t do much with Rafiks due to her fetlock but she was so responsive – all it took was a tiny lift of energy and she trotted – just asked for a very few steps. She also came back to walk smoothly on a breath out. Why did I ever think she was dull? She stayed beautifully lb and we just spent some time ‘hanging out’ as it must be a few weeks since I’ve actively asked for anything.
A good day – thanks Wendy! AND it didn’t rain til 5pm.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome day. How cool having an arena - did you put it in yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was a fun day. Yes,we put the arena in ourselves -cut out of the side of the hill as we have no flat land and only one undulating paddock suitable for hay. I still use haypaddock to ride in when I can but being clayey is disgusting most of the autumn winter spring and rock hard in summer. Wouldn't be able to do anything at the mo without the arena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a bit like that now but no room for an arena so confined to a wash bay... but it dried out pretty quick (in a week of no rain).. just has to bloody stop raining!

    ReplyDelete