What a gorgeous day - shame I had to be at work, worrying if they were too hot in their covers. I decided in the limited time I had, to spend some undemanding time, as I've noticed Cameo whinnies less frequently and consistently to me than she used to - I'd been getting pretty direct line about 'doing things' to try and do my L2 online before end April (and no I still haven't heard). Then I thought - I could feed them all individually, build their confidence away from the herd AND give some positive reinforcement that it's good to come with me. I have done so little with the twins. I left the buckets and a thin cover some distance away in the paddock they haven't been in for a year or so - quite lush grass patches compared towhat they are on but recently disturbed by a digger, so something for them to think about.
Rafiks whinnied as she almost always does, and came towards me soon as she saw me, followed closely by the twins. Cameo just looked up then carried on grazing. I decided to sit on the trough edge and see what happened and who would come up first. Rafiks came up to about 1m away and stopped, just looking. Then the twins came and stood withher. To my horror I saw fresh blood on Rafikis off fore hoof, and a bit on the near heel -still wet. So I was trying to be very calm and not rush, as Cameo still hadn't come up,but I really wanted to see what Rafiks had done. Then Cameo did come up to see what I was doing - sitting on the trough not being usual for me. So I still sat and rubbed and made a fuss of her.While I was doing that, Merlot and Shiraz both decided to step forward to 'drink' - well what they both did was have a tiny drop to drink then hold a mouthful and drop it all over me!! Who says horses don't have a sense of humour...
I extricated myself and discovered Rafiks had cut her heel on her near fore and coronet front on her off fore - I thought because she'd leaned over the fence. Turned out she' d pulled a sharp branch down,eaten the leaves then got it stuck between her front feet - I know it was her as she's the only one tall enough to reach....just typical of my girl!!
Anyway, as I had a halter on her she went first,so I moseyed in Z3 towards the bucket and digger 'scar'. She was suprisingly unconfident for her - 3 or 4 thresholds but fine once we got there. We had a little graze on the way back. Cameo was looking and whinnying at me by now -obviously not impressed!
Shiraz decided she was next and thrust her head into the halter. We had a bit of a squeeze through the gate - didn't realise she was that claustrophobic..then she trotted towards the bucket and stopped short when she saw the digger marks and cover lying there. She was hovering on lb/rb-interestingly she turned her head and just touched myhand then took a step back.So we retreated then zigzagged towards it- her muscles were quite tense so we retreated a short way and she had some grass. We approached again,a lot less tense -it wasn't the earth she was worried about it was the cover!! Once she'd had a sniff she found the bucket but wasn't that confident, so bucket and all we retreated a few metres and she was happy to pick up her feet there for me. Cameo was still whinnying on and off , so we headed back and I took thehalter off. Cameo and Merlot wanted to be next, so I offered the halter to Cameo and she took it in her mouth then pushed her nose in - interesting -she doesn't normally mouth it. Well, no approach and retreat for her - I stayed in Z3 and she marched up to the bucket, no thresholds and I changed her cover - I thought she'd be less confident than that - she's normally the wimp and sends Rafiki first!!
Back for Merlot - he was his usual self, halter goes everwhere but on the nose, then he moved softly off a suggestion. he wasn't as claustrophobic as Shiraz and soon as his front legs were in the gateway the head went down for grass! I asked him on and to turn around, and no response, so crept up and phase 4'd on the bum!Just a little jump forward then head down again. Cam would have left the planet if I'd done that to her! He saw the buckets and headed straight for them, but he wasn't that confident, head was up and eye a bit stary, so I stopped him, then we went again. He was happy to eat in the same spot as Shiraz and have his feet done. On the way back, before putting on his cover we practised stopping on a breath out,the same as Rafiki and Cameo know - am obviously trying to keep all the signals the same so it is easier. He's really getting it,and whipped his head around towards me, so he got a bit of carrot.
So, didn't really do much but it still took 2 hours, along with putting up electric tape inside the wire fence to stop Shiraz leaning on it. All stayed with me while I hunted for what Rafiks had cut her foot on -she is such a great patient - moved herself into position for the halter and stood very still while I put cream on. It must have hurt as she flinched but didn't move. Shiraz followed me back to the gate, with the others drifting along behind.
Things to work on:
Cameo - extreme friendly and halter without brace
Rafiks - keeping that big shoulder out of my space
Merlot -keeping that body out of my space -glad he is so much smaller than Vicky's horse Maraschino!
Shiraz -squeeze game and claustrophobia
All -confidence away from the herd
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a great thing to do - did the others get jealous when they saw just one eating or were you out of view. I have not taken Maraschino away from Garbo yet in my separation training... must get up the courage to do that.
ReplyDeleteYes they did - especially Cameo!! They haven't been apart for about 6 weeks so thought I'd better take it gently - keep in sight initially then take out of sight briefly - approach/retreat etc. The horse with me is almost always fine, it is the others!!They also knew that once they'd had their supper that was it - they didn't push to come again but just stood quietly nearby when I got the next one.
ReplyDeleteYou are such an inspiration -I have been reading your blog from the beginning and got to June 17th so far. You write so well - was heartrending reading about Blue - know how it feels as have had to have my two oldies put down but did it before they got ill -a really hard decision. Then I read your trailer loading thing when it took an hour- I don't 'know'you but I felt so proud of you!! That you put your principles first and didn't appear to get fussed by normals.I have a real issue with loading as Cameo was in a float fire before I got her so have gone through a lot trying to get her out and now I'm unconfident!!She is much better (but far from 100% on her own) and it is me that is holding all of us back now.
Thanks for the kind words Jane - I really enjoy reading yours too. I actually love writing my blogs. I have always been a journal person. I still have my teenage diaries!!
ReplyDeleteIt was so sad about Blue - he tried so hard for me. So are you up to June 2008? You are doing well.
Thanks for the comment on the float session - there are two more hour long sessions after that (I tended to avoid them too) and now he goes straight on with me outside - first ever since I have had him. Boy he got whipped by normals when they were 'teaching me' how to load him.