Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My cute little introvert

I was keen to see how Cameo felt about me today, having had a bit of a change of attitude recently (me). It was cold and windy and rained ALL morning so paddocks were like swamps and slidy and horrible –not much point in Hana and I going out to the beach or anywhere else. I gave the horses hay this morning and put winter pjs on. It finally stopped raining around lunch time so ventured out with the saddle .Good sign – got a big whinny from Cam! Then I went and got a bit of hay and an even bigger whinny so she happily ate that while I gave her a quick clean up – very muddy but fortunately dry tummy (her not me!)
We had a slow ‘hunt’ the carrot, driving from Z 5 and she was pretty ‘up’ – not keen on spooky corner and had a big spook to prove it. Then we did a few circles approaching and retreating from spooky corner and she tried SO hard but was still scared. She had a bit of a wild canter and we had to approach and retreat again –in walk. (I’m having a big think again at the moment – is Cam the right horse to take through the levels –now Rafiki is so much less extreme in all 4 quadrants she is almost more reliable, considering the relative amounts of time that both have had. That wild horse lives very close to the surface in Cam and my problem with taking her out is really starting to hold everyone back. She wouldn’t be a challenge for a more confident rider but I am now able to recognise Rafiki’s ‘pre-spook behaviour’ more easily than Cam’s, I think, and am off in a flash, whereas Cam’s reactions are so much faster there is rarely much warning. But thanks to my gorgeous saddle I have a much better chance of staying with her now!)
Anyway, we then had a bit of dwell time and got big licks and chews and yawns –she sidled forward and very gently wanted to nuzzle and put her nose next to my ear – she had such a soft look in her eye so I think coming back to walk and saying ‘don’t be scared but do as I say’ at a lower gait as a retreat was a help.
We moved to the less scary end and got a bit of canter going on line. She was struggling a bit to the right but much better to the left. Only got a couple of reasonable circles maintaining gait, but no pressure on the line so I was happy.
Time to hop on once I’d slid the saddle back- goes on hole # 7 now so she has lost some tum!
We played with lateral flexion and stroke Cam’s face – interesting – could stroke for 5 seconds to the left but consistently only 3 to the right. But at least I can touch her now without her snatching straight back. Funny how you just blast through these things until you really think…or I do anyway. Avery flappy tarpaulin/trailer thing sped past and she really tensed up, but I remembered what I’d seen on the dvd last night about that ‘special’ spot just infront of the withers (ppl spot) and really pushed in and it worked! She didn’t move and gradually relaxed. I had time to watch the others and – NO reaction from them- not even Shiraz –Cameo is SO sensitive and reactionary. At least my and her confidence is building and we can deal with more. We focussed on follow the rail, walk/trot transitions and softening her brace. I was really pleased when I just lifted the inside rein and pushed lightly sideways and got this lovely softness - only once but better than nothing! Just a glimmer of how it could be…..
Moving onto figure of eight I noticed she was pretty puffed – to my surprise we’d been consistently riding for nearly 40 minutes, with a lot of trot. So we just focussed on ‘how little does it take’ in walk indirect reining around the cones – she seems really stiff so I think needs lots of body bend, on a smallish figure of eight – no wonder we can’t trot it with any grace or suppleness!
We finished both much more confident and totally lb and had some quiet ‘hang out’ time-when I crouch down she loves to shuffle close up behind me and stand with her head over me- such a sweetie!

Spent a little while with Rafiks driving from Zone 3 4 or 5 on one and two lines – one line is SO hard when she pushes through pressure. She really enjoyed it and her fetlock seems better. We spent a bit of undemanding time and she yawned and yawned, then gave me a great big push with her nose – so un-ladylike!! Cam is far more refined and delicate, not like my Amazonian girl !!

Had a lovely afternoon!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jane
    You are going great guns with your blog. I really enjoy reading it (and Hana's).. makes a difference when you know the person hey (and being in NZ).... we didn't have any rain apart from 6am quite heavy, then a down pour about 2pm. Still have a duck pond in the middle paddock with a pair of Paradise Ducks though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the blogs it gives me so much more to think about.

    Interesting about the spooks and the spooky corner in your arena. Remember Buzz thought that corner was spooky. Is there something there or did your horses tell him about it.

    There is a spooky corner at Totara Park but its because there is a drainage pipe sticking out.

    See you both on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garbo just likes having spooky ends of arenas - usually the fartherest from the gate end. lol

    ReplyDelete