Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Patterns.....

Had a fun few moments watching the horses play -wish I had had my camera!! They had been in a small paddock for a day or two so fed them in the pens (off the arena) took Shiraz's cover off as it is so much warmer and drier and opened the gate to the other paddock. I called them and Merlot ambled over, and out. The others slowly followed and I went back to pick up the buckets. There was a thunder of hooves as they came back (over the carpet!) up the step into the arena, led by Rafiki. They proceeded to dance and buck and play and bounce and go as fast as they could, all in the arena for about 10 minutes.

I noticed a few things:
  • I feel Merlot tried to get me to join in - he comes prancing up - wow is he handsome - naturally he 'rounds' and does this big dressage trot or bouncy canter in vertical flexion. He is not very big but to me has 'presence'and of course is my special boy. He just 'looks' right at me - stops just short of me, reaches forward touches my hand with his nose then spins around does a few kicks in the air,trots back infront of me and does it again -just amazing. This seems to be his pattern - even when we are in the paddock he seems to try and 'entice' me to play - and trots off on a circle then comes back -he is on the 'brink' of being dominant but never rears or strikes at me -yet when he and Rafiki play,they often both stand up, rear and strike - guess I have to just watch out for this and keep it balanced. I think we do have a special bond because he would have died a few days after birth without me and he knows it- he wasn't Amber's 'favourite' -she took care of Shiraz more - it was like Amber and I shared the responsibility of the pair of them . He often bucks, and when he does he stands on his head with his hind legs way above my head, or he arches his back and pronks - but it is always very 'forward' -not like Rafiki's version.
  • Cam joined in after a while -normally she stands near me and watches - she is so much more confident on this surface - she was cantering and kicking her legs in the air, really accelerating along the straight almost to gallop then steadying on the short side then changing direction. Her pattern has always been figure of eight - even when we do passenger lessons alone or with others, she figure of eights all by herself (this was way before 'patterns' were introduced so I hadn't 'taught' her) She also quite often whinnies when playing, but usually when she almost goes rb -she was 100% lb and stayed upright -yay!! Her 'legs in the air 'style is midway between Rafiks and Merlot- moving forward but more restrained.She stopped before the others and came and stood with me.
  • Shiraz loves circles - usually she or Rafiki start the play when it is horses without me - she does a fast canter orgallop and just circles and circles - she did this even when tiny - used to be around Amber (BFO just realised she tries to do it around me.....!) staying inclose because Merlot used to chase her and bite her bum! I have noticed how neat and round the circles are - no eggs or squashed tomatoes here! Sheseems veryverybalanced -Ibet they would love her as a Pony Club pony - nimble and quick.No chance-she is staying with me (as they all are I hope) forever!! She tends not to kick her legs in the air -she rounds her back and buck's 'forward' but not often-usually she just gallops. She also tends to 'flag' her tail and do a very'arab-type trot' - Cam does this too but only when sheis RB yet with Shiraz I'm sure it is lb -interesting....
  • Rafiki seems to go for straight lines and almost always has her had down, usually striking and bucking with back arched, but not very forward. It is more a series of buck jumps then accelerates and then stops and bucks again,with a twist and a strike -wouldn't want to ride that!!I said recently I hadn't seen her play and buck for a while -well, she stayed completely lb and she initiated the play this time,as she often does.I noticed when I first let them into the arena she bounced towards her pen bucking and striking (at nothing) then calmly waited for me and the others (all walking)to catch up. I think she is one playful horse -thankfully Merlot normally is enough to keep the edge off and responds to her by biting her knees and rearing -Shiraz just does her circles!!
  • Cameo and Shiraz chose to fly out of the arena and up the hill at full gallop,circled and came back in both jumping up the step whilst Rafik and Merlot(and I!) stood and watched..all lb. Usually Cam and Shiraz jump the step while Merlot and Rafiks take it in their stride.

Interesting - they seem to 'save'their play for the arena -I've noticed before - think they know it is safer to do it here rather than on muddy hilly paddocks. I hope so - don't want Rafiks to pull her front shoes off. I'd love to take them off again and see how she goes without them, but this is the longest period she has ever appeared sound since I've had her....think I will give it a go. If she is not happy they will just have to go back on. They are the 2 'worst' feet on the place - I'm very happy with everyone elses' -so good to be able to do it when needed and not wait for a farrier. Not perfect but pretty good I think, given my time limits.

Took some pics this morning so will try and upload....

No comments:

Post a Comment