Monday, April 12, 2010

2 firsts today....

Today I didn't have much time but was really keen to ride - think thats 6 days out of the last 7 I've ridden, and guess who was first to meet me - Cameo!!
We had a quick brush and munch of hay (her not me!) then I did about 5 mins max of online on the 12ft, doing follow the rail to 'maybe' where there was a carrot, with a few disengages. Everything looked good so I hopped up - normally I'd spend far too long on line....

My goal was to get a relaxed trot all the way around the arena both ways, with no stops or hops up to canter. Might not sound much, but if you've seen Cam you'd know she is NOT yet very smooth or have much impulsion. Normally she either goes or stops. Thats my fault as I spent a while being run away from which was quite scary, so then every time she got going I'd stop her in a few strides. If I then asked her on she'd take it personally and GO then STOP!!! well, I thought I probably should take it stage by stage as she is behaving more like a LBI these days, so thats what we did. And guess what, I got a trot 2 sides straight off on the right rein, then softly bent her to a walk just by lifting the rein. The next time we got all the way around in a lovely soft trot with just one correction back to the rail. So we had dwell time and a carrot piece. Then we set off on the left rein, got 3/4 way around and she offered canter - I lifted the rein (yes, still riding with one rein - seems very comfy now!) to a stop and then we set off again - trotted a whole circuit but at the same place - canter again. She got it on the third time, with a soft trot all the way around. Then we finished. So pleased - I know it doesn't sound much but that is the longest continuous trot we have had where go = whoah and with no 'surges'......we have done a lot of disengage, follow the rail, change direction etc and we have done passenger lessons in the past for 21 minutes, but there was quite a lot of 'surging' going on then....

My rein hands are improving, and I have now noticed I get very 'infront' of the movement - I knew I was too forward but didn't realise how much subconsciously I feel like urging her on...need to work on that....

Then I did her feet very quickly and prepared for THE MOVE to the little paddock at the back of the property the horses only go to occasionally. There is a little bit of grass there. Usually I try and move them in two pairs, and the pairs up to now have been upset at being away from each other. Today, for the first time, they couldn't have cared less!! I think playing with Rafiki and doing a bit with Merlot on the float, then Rafiki grazing by herself away from the others, me taking Cam away etc has all helped with everyones self confidence. Again, doesn't sound much but I'm pleased with it - we just need to keep it up. Oh and the weather helped - nice and calm and still.

Loving this!!

4 comments:

  1. What do you mean, it doesn't sound like much??! Lol. Sounds like you are making huge steps! Excellent. I hope to be as far along the journey as you some day with my new horse...Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the weather has been fabuloso!!!

    Well done - those are huge steps - and while to an outsider they may not seem like huge steps - but we all know they are so well done!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks bth of you - I know we have come quite a way but tend to forget sometimes...ned to read the old diaries I think!

    Cilla, any news on a new horse??

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane thanks for keeping the comments up-I think we all do tend to forget how far we've come- always refining and learning with and at the right pace is so special and very hard to do- You have very lucky horses there- wish all horses were in the same caring situation. Keep it up - each time I read your blog I can't wait to get back with mine. X Kathy

    ReplyDelete