Sunday, April 18, 2010

Riding again..!!

Just quickly as have had another busy day...
Spent all morning with the horses, which was great. It was really windy and yet again I started off in the horizontal drizzle again but it stopped in about 1 minute. Its almost like it's a test for me - will I still get out there...

My plan today was to ride the rail around the whole of the hay paddock and see how relaxed Cam was. well, she was GREAT!! Consistency paying off i think. We were 100% relaxed all of the time for half an hour (and it WAS windy). We were able to trot on a totally loose rein all along the 'long' side, but she stopped just on a lift of the rein. I didn't want to 'hammer' her tho as the ground is so hard still. She offered walk to canter at one point but I know it was because I asked with too much energy -woohoo though, store that one up for the future!! She very easily came back to trot with a lift of the rein. The other thing I was focussing on was being on my balance point and being able to touch her hq at anytime in trot. To my suprise I managed it every time. I did notice tho that when she slowed I didn't slow with her fast enough - I got a bit ahead of her. I think the slight uphill and downhill is really helping me too. It feels much more comfy now.
The other thing I noticed is that there were virtually no corrections back to the rail when on the right rein, but a lot on one long side on the left rein...

I rode in the hackamore today, to see how it went. I also watched the patterns and see I really should be carrot stick riding - hmm, really haven't done much of that. Think we'll start tomorrow.

Also had a play with Rafiks and she was so chilled that I hopped up and just sat on her for 1o mins while she grazed. The last time I rode her she was quite hyped up so I thought that learning she could just be still when she had a rider on would help. She tends to go a bit RB when ridden so I thought a good dose of 'friendly' wouldn't go amiss.

2 comments:

  1. Don't ya love trotting up hill - I could do it all day! Sounds like you are making great progress. Was the correction side furtherest away from the horses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes trotting up hill is good but I still come out of the saddle too far...

    Yes it was on the furtherest side, BUT she didn't do it at all in the same spot going the other way. And today she didn't do it at all either way.....but I was armed with C'stick just incase....

    ReplyDelete