Tuesday, April 27, 2010

riding this weekend

I had two lovely days including riding both Cameo and Rafiki both days. We were focussing on follow the rail but a bit faster this time with Cam - rode for 40 minutes and it was pretty hot - she even needed a wash down afterwards - now thats a rare event! I mainly focused on my body dynamics with her - they are still bad but getting better...
Then I had a play with Rafiki and decided to try riding in the halter again, as she showed opp reflex last time I rode in the bridle. Well, you'd have thought I'd ridden her every day - we just did some lateral flexion, direct and indirect rein and follow the rein, and she was beautifully soft - for the first time no opp reflex in a halter.. She did put her head down once and trawl the arena with her lips. I had a think about that overnight and decided if she does it again I'll do something about it. She stayed very steady with no impulsive walk like we had last time. Just rode for about 10 minutes but was so good I stopped.
Claire came over with Hebee on Sunday - first time I have seen her for months, I think. We had a play and a ride - Hebee did really well as thats his first ride off the property since he lost his eye. He was more confident when the 'seeing' side was to the outside of the arena. Claire as always did a fantastic job with him. Hebee and Cameo were delighted to see each other - lots of little snuffles and 'love talk' between them! Shiraz got very excited too but he really was only interested in Cameo. Rafiki soon lost interest in him.
I upped the speed again with Cam and actually got canter on the correct leads both ways all around the arena. Doesn't sound much but I could barely even sit 2 strides of canter initially - now I can manage a few more but we have a LONG way to go!

Then Claire had a ride on Cam, and felt safe enough to have a trot with no stirrups, which was great. I played with Rafiki while she did this then hopped on. Once again Rafiki did so well. we did some follow the rail and a little bit of trot, she just has a blissful smooth stride. So different to Cam, who has all this side to side and upwards movement going on. We practiced transitions a couple of times just lifting the rein, and i could not beleive how soft she was. Interesting, 2 good rides in a halter now when she has really hated it before, grinding her teeth and pulling her head down sideways. Maybe she had something else going on then? She did put her head down to trawl the arena so I smooched to a lovely smooth trot, and she didn't put her head down again - maybe it is boredom...
Such fun!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Jane. What a great horsie weekend you had... great news about Rafiki and the halter!

    ReplyDelete