Just a quick blog as have heaps to do as usual. I think today was our 4th one rein ride. I noticed:
- the higher the gait the more corrections back to the rail I have to make
- I have a tendency to 'nag' when corrceting, instead of correcting by pointing nose at the rail then leaving
- I have a tendency to hold the rein in my left hand whichever direction we are going
- my seat was better today at canter and I really focussed on sitting back and down
- Cams tendency is to prefer left lead but she will offer right on the second try - I think it is what I am doing in my body
- she is 'hopping' into trot less
- she is much more relaxed and far easier to ride most of the time
- when my hands come up my shoulders come up and my seat comes up - so focus on hands down!
- I can think when on board now
- I am much more confident riding!!
being focussed and particular but not critical makes a huge difference - we aimed for 50 transitions in todays ride and it was suprisingly easy to get there, counting up and down. Also aiming for min 4 laps trot on the 45ft with no breaking gait - got that. Aimed for 3 laps canter with no breaking gait and we didn't get that, but she corrected herself - I think she loses balance/confidence so drops down now rather than speeding up - great!
Roll on tomorrow....

Brilliant post. Loving reading about your progress x
ReplyDeleteWhat great progress in such a short space of time. Well done. Why do you think you hold the rope in your left hand as the preferred rein?
ReplyDeleteAw thank you!! I am feeling very focussed and positive at the mo.
ReplyDeleteI think I hold the rein in my left hand so the right is handy for bending quickly, being right handed. Does that make sense? In a panic situation I 'trust' my right hand more than my left to bend, but am really evening out now - hopefully witll have a one rein ride follow the rail around the hay paddock tomorrow if not pouring.