Sunday, April 4, 2010

Level 1 but being particular....

I watched most of the L4 online dvd last night - wow it inspired me. Is so good to see 'where' we are going. I was also interested to see the S bend and falling leaf explained - funny how it popped up in the monthly dvd too.

Had a big think about all the opposition reflex I got the other day with Cam, and thought it was probably a combination of lack of respect and me not being clear or consistent or particular. Funny, that.....
So, I watched the L1/2 freestyle to remind myself what I should be doing with my arms/legs etc. Hmmm, a few revelations. I'm kind of doing it but not well enough, and when was the last time I have done any one rein riding... Although Cam and I have officially 'passed' L2 with L2++ I feel a bit of a fraud as it is not consistently good. I wouldn't be happy riding in a paddock (5 acres or so) on a completely loose rein at more than a walk. I think I'd be doing a lot of one rein stops and there would be a lot of braceiness. So, thinking about what I learned the other day from Clinton Anderson technique (which was pretty much exactly what L1 is, EXCEPT the flexion was with 2 reins and not 1...maybe ok for a LB horse but I think a RB would feel far too claustrophobic.) yet again I have decided to go back and fill in the gaps.. I also noticed I still have a tendency to use two reins when I or she gets worried - yes I can ride Cam walk trot and canter 'under control' but with contact - I can't freestyle... she goes RBE. Also, I realised my body dynamics are out in the arena - with follow the rail (which we don't do well yet...shocking - we have been 'in' L2 so long but not persisted with it) I 'lead' with the 'wrong' hand. Also, thinking of the mastery lesson and disengagement on the move, thought I'd bear that in mind - it is just L1......

So I have decided to ride with one rein for every session for AT LEAST the next 7 sessions, and to go back to marking off the patterns - for some reason I haven't been doing that.

Today went really well - played on the 45ft online , spaced the barrels out to get a good fast figure of eight - they were about 20ft apart. Then I asked for circles, and when the trot dribbled down to a walk I did something about it - swift COD and we were off again - it only took 2 of those before I got 4 circles in consistent gait, although she was spiraling in - not a bad thing so we stopped at that. I also got a bit more imaginitive and asked for follow the rail using about 3/4 of the 45 ft - that was fun and suprisingly good. Then we did a quick trip up and down the arena with falling leaf, and s bends - I found after the first one or two I didn't have to use my stick ....how interesting....she just followed a feel.

So then I thought I'd get on - girth goes up a bit more these days - hole 7 on each side!! I got on properly from the Indian side - I have been 'lazy' and used the arena fence for months, so time we mixed it up a bit. We got some super soft lateral flexion, she kept flexed for 15 seconds by herself, then snatched a little, and I held, as she wasn't RB, then held for another 15 and I released... we moved into direct and indirect along the rail, and se was so much softer, and not ONCE did we have opp reflex.....

I thought we'd have a trot, and off she shot, so I softly bent her to a halt, then just kept mixing things up so she couldn't anticipate' as she was so LB. We got some nice downwards transitions with just a lift of the rein in the end, and I was pleased she could differentiate between lifting for that and then keep going to lifting to go backwards and keep straight. We finished with a one rein ride up the hill in the next paddock for a snack of grass and to leave the twins on their own for a few minutes - Rafiki was happily grazing off out of sight by herself in the other paddock anyway.
Very pleased - have been timing my rides, because I don't want her to get sore as she is so out of condition, but I need to do enough. Yesterday we rode for 20 minutes (online for 30), today was half an hour online half an hour ride, mainly walk and a bit of trot, but we do more trot and canter online, so think we need to build up gradually.
Looking forward to tomorrow....

3 comments:

  1. Cool - well done - isn't it funny we are watching the same DVDs each night!
    Sounds like an awesome plan to me!! How did follow the rail freestyle go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow the rail going much better generally but we have a long way to go. I think the online 'follow the rail' with me at a distance definitely helps...

    yes, I watched liberty last night. Funny, I hardly ever play at liberty in a round pen that small - maybe I should - Pat does it for a reason.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah me too - don't have one!!

    ReplyDelete