Thursday, April 15, 2010

One rein ride in the wind...

Just squeezed in a little play and ride today. The horses are over the back in the paddock they don't like, and it was pretty windy and a bit wet so just thought I'd play on the 45ft and see what happened, maybe ride. I have marked off 10m on the line so I know when we are doing a 20m circle - 'just incase' I need to know for the future!! Might as well get used to it now. They were all pretty 'up' and I found out why when I got to the paddock - branches been falling down again. anyway, Cam was happy to come with me - the others didn't like being left behind but I opened up the grass (yes we have some!) a bit and good old Rafiki toddled off to graze and baby sat the twins. Merlot especially was upset.
Cam was quite happy long as she was with me. as it was quite slippery and very hard still I didn't ask for canter online, just maintain gait at a trot - yay got her mantaining gait and direction and keeping the line on the ground consistently for 5 circles using 90% of the line...
Then it rained again and I thought about standing under the trees but THEN I thought hmm what will that be teaching - that weather matters, when I want her to pay attention to me. So we carried on!! It soon stopped and we moved up the hill (out of sight of the others) where I've got the round pen set up (electric tape and standards). We played follow the rail with me at a distance and she was great. So, saddle on, quick play figure of eight - she doesn't need much direction now..

Then I hopped on. We had some grazing friendly time then set off following the rail of the pen - I could not BELIEVE how good she was - NO corrections in 2 circles either way!! Yes, still riding one rein - quite proud of myself and she stayed relaxed. So.....I thought I'd have a trot - and I got....a relaxed trot 3/4 way around...I softly asked her to stop while it was good then we walked. Then the neighbours started to do stuff and she got a bit nervous, head up, bit stary, but I stayed relaxed and didn't grab the rein - all she did was walk fast, maintained gait and maintained direction..whew thats a first.....always before she has leapt sideways and flown back to the others. We retreated to the 'safe' side of the pen and had some friendly grazing again, so she finished relaxed. So pleased!! never thought I'd get a relaxed trot the first ride in there since I think September...or was it last January??

2 comments:

  1. I wondered if you'd be out there again today- good point about the weather & what is that teaching them- now that winter is here that'll stick in my brain. Guess who will be doin it in the rain now.hahaha Glad you made that comment because I hadn't thought of that. Me & Gypsy find maintaining gait very difficult at times -need to keep going with that...Keep it up Jane you make it sound so easy. Cheers Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy - not sure about making it 'sound' easy!!

    ReplyDelete