Saturday, April 3, 2010

Catch up with Vicki

Yet again I have been slack and not blogged....last Sunday Vicki came down to my place and we had a bit of a play with Cam and Rafiki. It was great to be able to watch how they responded and how light Vicki was with them....the time just flew...

This weekend was my turn to visit Vicki and the boys. Vicki was very generous and I had a short ride on Garbo - just LOVED riding him, even though we just had a walk and then he offered a trot, which was lovely. I suspect he is a bit bouncier in canter. I was also honoured to have a play with Maraschino - he reminds me so much of Merlot, yet Merlot is more extrovert - maybe because they are both so trusting. If Vicki ever finds Maraschino not in her paddock then maybe my herd will have grown to 5 - even if he isn't chestnut. He is such a cool horse and tried so hard to please. Vicki has been doing amazing things with Coco, and he was watching very closely as I played with his 'brother'!
In the afternoon I went to another friends place and rode her horse, which was great fun. she has been following the Clinton Anderson track and I am VERY impressed with the changes they both have made - although horse is a RBE I was able to trot arond the rail on a totally loose rein, and when I asked him to flex then let go again he barely changed rhythm. Obviously he was even better for 'his' human and she is a great rider, wish I was even half that good!!

I tried 2 'techniques' (as they complement parelli) today with Cam, and she wasn't that impressed on the ground, but did try hard when I rode. Basically it was just hindquarter yielding and one rein stops, then a bit of flexion. I have realised yet again that I don't do things for long enough, or consistently enough, and neither am I particular enough.....

This time I will do something about all 3 - watch out horses your paddock holiday is over!

4 comments:

  1. You are also SO HARD ON YOURSElF!!
    Remember and remind yourself of all the great things you do, do and how consistent you are with those (feet springs to mind!!).... remember you never appreciate how far you have come if you are always focusing on what you have not yet achieved.

    Thats funny about Maraschino..... looking forward to your next blog....
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vicki - this made me laugh!! Do you know how long I have been in L2???

    I do know now that Cam is not an easy horse - Rafiki being so much easier to ride suprised me. But I want to be really good with horses before I am 90!!I also now think hmm, if Cam is not that easy to ride she'll be training me really well for the others....rather than think oh I'm just going to give up with her...!!
    Happy horsing..
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah - I think that about Garbo...if I can ride him and deal with him on the ground - all others will be a piece of cake!....

    You are studying L3 now - you passed L2 remember!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s.s
    When I went to Australia last year - I saw some people in the spotlights that had been in Level 1 for 9 years! That's NOT you

    ReplyDelete