Saturday, April 17, 2010

Played with all 4...

Had a nice horsey day today - went to the play day (on foot) at Totara Park as unexpectedly had some extra time. I met a few new people which was great, and their lovely horses. It was excellent to see Wendy have a ride on Gypsy, too.

Then I played with mine all afternoon and discovered I don't melt in the rain...

It was raining horizontally when I set out but thought that was good practice and so I carried on. Started with Cam, riding one rein again. I was very pleased we did heaps more trotting in a relaxed manner, and at one point she spotted a horse and rider where I've never seen a horse and rider before, but I was able to get her focus back and we just carried on, as relaxed as before - another first! I also discovered if she came off the rail (and she did on a few occasions to head for grass..) if I picked up my inside hand 'as if' I had the rein she still came back...interesting...We had a few grazing breaks way out of sight of the others, then I had a go at riding a weave at walk and trot. Trot wasn't too bad up the hill but quite hard flipping the rein in time, but I didn't try downhill -she'd just go too fast. She also offered canter a couple of times but I think it was me leaning forward a bit to flip the rein, but I didn't let her canter even though I'd quite like too.

Then a had a play with Rafiki - the first real one on a 45ft - she LOVED it. Did some beautiful circles on the move right at the very end of the 45ft and kept the softness and line on the ground - she had a gorgeous even rhythmical trot today....can't wait to get riding again. I also had a quick play/graze with merlot and Shiraz. Merlot seems to have had a growth spurt in a week - all front and no back end but still uphill and light on his feet... Shiraz is so LB now - she was really on a mission with a huge overtrack at the walk - I spent some time bouncing up and down beside her and leaning over - she'll be nice and easy to get on being so small but I think will make up for it in attitude.
Oh yes I loaded both Merlot and Shiraz on the float briefly by themselves - didn't shut them in tho as they still had way too much energy.
another fun day!

4 comments:

  1. Thats such a cool day!!
    Well done for fitting all that in.... Garbo still not right so I haven't done anything - had another Reiki session today - sore hip and kidneys, lesson with Russell on Tuesday - hope he'll be ok.
    I was telling Tracey about one rein riding today....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Jane- where do you get the energy from- can I tap into it...Still have soo many things to catch up on - I'm off to move them all around now- BUT I can still do a lot of PNH while moving them.Cam is going from Strength to strength- it's lovely how they are all at different stages. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you - I'm just very concious that this great weather might not last too much longer and I have a LOT to do before November!!

    Hope Garbo is OK Vicki - waht did Tracey think of one rein riding??

    ReplyDelete
  4. She thought it was very brave... although she said she tried it when riding her horse back to the paddock but she never knew how to swap the rein to the other side - so I told her.

    ReplyDelete