I went out to play with Cam and Rafiki yesterday and discovered they were both lame, and on the same foot! This often happens when we get wet/dry weather in spring and autumn, with clay going rock hard and their feet still being a bit soft. I wasn't too worried. So, I thought - take the opportunity to take the twins out for a brief walk individually. I know it is bad but they haven't been out individually since June...
well, EVERYONE wanted to be 'the one' that came with me.I now appreciate this far more since Pierson taught me to...after his not wanting to be with me the first day of fasttrack. Shiraz came first, and she was LB on adrenaline - really marching out. I only just took her outside the paddock - she was fine but I needed to retreat for Cameo - she was seriously stressed. The others were fine.We approached and retreated and even when the others galloped around, Cameo RB but the others LB and exuberant Shiraz just ate....once Cam was licking and chewing we headed back - don't want to reward RB behaviour....to my horror although her body was not sweaty her ears were sodden, and her forehead was dripping - talk about stress sweating in weird places. She was very glad to see both me and Shiraz, and within minutes her sweat had dried...
Merlots turn next,and he was Mr Superconfident - I played passenger online with him - he trotted away from the others with me in tow. I was interested to see where he would go - he was on a real mission. A couple of times I asked him to stop, and he did so, totally LB. But he still had his goal in mind so I followed....straight into the other paddock and onto the float!!! How amazing is that - we obviously left float playing in a good spot last April....I asked him off and he was fine, then we went grazing for a bit but he wasn't really fussed about grass he wanted to explore...very LBE today. I was so pleased - could not have asked for more - well, I didn't ask for anything, he offered it all. He is (going to be) my superstar horse..
Cam came next as I wanted to make sure she was totally LB and happy. We ambled along grazing and scratching and unlike last week she stayed totally confident and LB and the others were happy by themselves... just stood watching..
I seem to be observing far more since Fastrack with my new eyes...and am far more focused...worth every minute in Colorado and every cent spent....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

How great was that- with Merlot..Jane it's just soo good to read your comments- helps me to look and see as well..so interesting about the sweating- I would not have known to look there until after the success series info...and Cam having such a anxious RB reaction. Thankyou X Kathy
ReplyDeletewow - I need some of that soaking into G and M... (loving to go onto float) - I still don't get Garbo dragging me on there lol - so that is so awesome - like you say - couldn't have asked for any more.
ReplyDeleteSomeone coming to look at mine in an hour!
Thanks ladies, they are such fun to be with....
ReplyDelete