Since I've been back I haven't had a lot of time but am determined not to let this lovely weather go by. I had a brief play with them all (individually) last week, then a play with Rafiki today. Wow have I noticed some stuff and I'm so grateful to Pierson for showing me things.
On Saturday I had a very short play with each horse, and they were ALL so soft. All I played with was porky, as I'm so bad at it, and they were just amazing. NOW I know the difference between a ball and a chair (!) You know what I mean. Pierson was the chair, yielding but sluggish. Without exception all of mine take the lightest feather touch to move, and they don't escape. It is just so easy....I was thinking that maybe it is because Pierson had 17 years of being a 'normal' horse. When I got Cam she had 6 years of being a 'normal' horse but she's now had more time being 'abnormal', same with Rafiki. I thought Rafiki might be heavy, being LB, but she wasn't at all. Maybe my phases have improved too. Funny how you can learn and decipher so much from 2 minutes....observe remember and compare and obviously to the twins 'everything did mean something' as I have done so little with them. Withe Pierson I thought it was just me and his lack of experience, but I do think it is years of pushing into pressure too..
I had a few big BFOs driving to work too - I was so lucky to play with Pierson and not a horse higher up the levels because he taught me to do the right thing to cause him to move - EXACTLY what I need for the twins and also my future career. Ha I said it now - yes I do have some ambitions....Had I played with a more experienced horse I wouldn't have benefitted so much..funny how 'it isn't about the grade'....this was way more valuable than 'passing', especially as I get another opportunity too - just love this programme! Also one of my goals was 'to ride a lot' but what I got out of the course was more understanding of 'L1 with excellence'....again exactly what I needed....now I know what to practice, and what to practice well, not just to go out and do stuff....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great stuff... I don't do enough porky either.... Garbo cn lean but you know what happened the other day.... I was at Woodhill and he was busy trying to 'see' Rose the mare... and so much so at one point he nearly bumped into me so I happened to have my car keys in my hand so I stuck a key into the bit that was sticking into me like a spur - boy did that get his attention back on me... LOL - great stuff hey - can't wait to catch up
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments Vicki and Cilla. Very pleased with Rafiks.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea about keys Vicki....