Monday, October 4, 2010

Hotwire to the brain!!

I had such a great play with Rafiki today. Only short but that seems to work. We started off playing friendly grazing as she's a bit underweight, and after a while moved to the arena. She was perfectly happy to come with me. I decided to play with my focus as it has improved a bit, I think.
I was just amazed with Rafiki's response - I was picturing in my mind what I wanted her to do, whether it was head down or up, drive from Z4 to a particular crack in the paintwork of the pedestal, squeeze through cow flavoured barrels etc. It was exactly as if I had a hotwire straight to her brain - she just did it!! I'd noticed this tendency before but not so extreme as today - whatever I wanted I just had to think and almost before I consciuosly moved she'd be trying to do the right thing. I noticed on Saturday that she was actually swaying her weight without moving, she was trying so hard to make the right move. ( I also got that with Pierson when riding..) Go equalled whoa - she was exuberant on the circle and figure of eight and gave me a flying change on the figure of eight - this is Rafiki we are talking about!! I was only asking for the softest trot but she offered a delicious canter. This is the horse that didn't know where her legs were..well she seems to be learning. After that effort I stopped.
On saturday I had started her learning backwards over a pole - she was really struggling because she's not sure where her feet are and is not worried about banging into things. But her brain got the concept because she spied the log and without me even asking she lined herself up and tried to back over it - what a try!!! Obviously she wasn't going to make it but I had to reward that, so we went stright back to the grass. Later on Roger and I were trying to fix the electric fence and she and Merlot were all over us, trying to help, even though they could have been eating yummy grass like the other two - how interesting....!

3 comments:

  1. Just found the link to your page on Vicky's blog. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the Fast Track. I think I remember Pierson from a two week course I assisted with... Great to hear that you learned lots and can apply it at home. Hope to get to meet you next year!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Petra!!
    yes I can't wait to get back to Colorado - I think about it at least once an hour..

    ReplyDelete