For some months now I've been having trouble with myself not being patient or 'slow' enough for Cam, so hadn't played with her much as I couldn't stop myself feeling frustrated - and it obviously wasn't her fault!!
Basically I was getting too direct line, wanting to complete my L3 in November (yes..next month was my goal!). I found though I 'couldn't' progress fast enough freestyle, with her being RBI - she just wasn't ready for doing more at higher paces and was becoming unconfident - thankfully I did notice that. I thought I was ready for L3 but maybe I wasn't...
So my plan was to continue with Rafiki as my levels horse now she is so much easier, and being LBE she's much happier to move forward. And then of course the news came of my opportunity to go to Pagosa, and I 'thought' I needed to become even more direct line to be ready for the course but thankfully 'someone' stepped in and arranged things so that I was so busy I hardly had time for horses at all in the 6 weeks before the Fasttrack! So, the horses have had August and September and most of July off.
Since being back from Pagosa I have played with Rafiki a few times and she has been amazing. Cam was still standoffish so I decided to take all the pressure off and play with her at her speed - after all I still have the twins to play with who are nearly 4. Hmm why couldn't I convince myself to do this before...
I have spent a fair bit of time with all 4 at liberty in the paddock, moving fences, scratching and brushing while they lose their winter coats. Also I have taken Cam Merlot and Shiraz out of the paddock for some individual attention, but keeping them in sight of the others. I have also started putting a halter on everyone, giving them a treat then letting them go again, so they know I appreciate them. I used to do this a lot but just started doing this again yesterday. Shiraz Merlot and Rafiki always come up to me anyway, but Cam hasn't for a few weeks now and she always used to. Also she had stopped whinnying to me - but again she always used to..the others still do though whenever they see me. aren't they gorgeous!!
Today I went to take covers off and move the fence - and there was a little whicker, and Cam met me at the gate...then presented me with her hq for scratching, and then turned and nuzzled me all around my neck just like she used to...so cute. The others all patiently waited. Shiraz especially LOVES her scratches but even she waited! I decide to to take Cam for some grass later and trim her feet - all at her pace.
When I went to 'get' her though she was lying down like a toy pony - the others all standing around dozing. So I thought I'd just go and sit with them- I expected her to get up. I walked in and went and sat a distance away, with my back to them. In 2 seconds Shiraz was with me, and just munched around me while the others dozed.After about 10 minutes I stole a glimpse back and Cam was asleep with her nose propped up on the ground, like a tripod! I decided to give Shiraz a bit of carrot and see what the 'crunch' sound did for all - not much, but Cam did lift her nose up. I moved back to sit much closer, witin touching distance, and as she seemed quite bright I offered her a carrot and again expected her to get up. She took the carrot and I sat down. To my amazement she gave a big sigh and I thought she was about to get up...but no..she lay flat down and closed her eyes!! She didn't seem uncomfortable or colicky and the others were dozy so I thought she was just enjoying a doze too! We stayed there for 15 minutes(yes I timed it!) then she sat up and looked around, had a snort and lay back down flat with her eyes closed! Then Shiraz lay down, but her being her she lay down very slowly and just kept eating!! I wished I'd had my camera - I'm not good at rembering it - yet!! After 5 minutes or so Shiraz got up and came over to me but that obviously hit Cam's 'bubble' as she put her ears back while still lying down, then lifted her head, rolled and got up then ambled off.
By this time Cam had been lying down for at least 20 minutes, and I felt so honoured that she had trusted me. HUGE progress - she has only once 'tolerated' me being nearby when she is lying down in the 7 years she has lived with me...this time was totally different - this was complete trust and relaxation as a result of me being there. She normally doesn't lie down even with the others satnding guard....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Never mind about forgetting the camera! I was there with you while reading this great post and could imagine how the scene would have looked. Marvelous!
ReplyDeletec x
Isn't that just awesome when you get that... oh I wish you'd had your camera too. But can see it in my mind. My boys have been lying down alot lately too - enjoying the sun, no wind and coolish air I think...
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are still have BFO's from Pagosa... awesome.
V
xx
Thanks ladies!!! Yes lots of BFOs still....
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic way for Cam to be- completely comfortable - WOW that's a biggy for her and what a lovely way to spend in this beautiful weather. XX Kathy
ReplyDeleteWow - how cool is that!!!
ReplyDeleteGood for you...
Isn't it awesome when we feel this connection with our horses....
Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central