Sunday, October 17, 2010

playday in the rain.....

Rafiki seemed quite sound this morning so I decided the outing would do us both good. I put her Boa boots on the front as I knew that the stones are a bit shap outside the arena where we were going, then I had the idea to fit Cam's boots on her back feet, She seemed fine and not fussed at all so she travelled wearing them. She was greate to load - just have to show her the door and she's up there and in...I did ask her off though so It was my idea!
We went to Janettes, and I unloaded Rafiki as I always think it is a bit rude to suddenly load two horses in a confined space together when they don't know each other. Also I though Ace might be a bit heavier so he needed to go up the front. Rafiki took two steps off the float and head was straight down - just love these LB types! I popped her in the paddock and she and Ace said hi with no dramas. The Janette played with the float until he was comfy, Rafiki hopped back on and off we went. They were both quite relaxed though Rafiki did her lip popping but I think it was because we waited around for a bit for Ace to relax. They both came off beautifully and then it started to really rain and blow!
We went down to the arena and did a bit of 'put your nose on it' - the racehorses were pretty lively but our horses were calm... Rafiki started trawling with her nose so this time I allowed it, just to see what she would do. In about 30 seconds she was rolling, then Ace copied her and then Indi copied him! So funny. She was feeling quite dominant, tossing her head and striking out a bit, so I sent her on a circle. She did a lovely even rhythmical trot, a not so great change of direction but a lovely trot the other way too. She didn't seem to mind her boots at all! So I decided that was a good spot to finish on as she had been so willing and just graze for the rest of the time. Usually when we go out we do a lot so I thought maybe not this time - also I didn't want her boots to rub too much. I put her cover on as it seemed quite cold.
Claire is doing so well with Indi, and Janette and Wendy are doing equally well with their horses. I really feel I haven't progressed much at all since February, which would be right as we haven't done anything! I'm not sure what I have been doing, which is not good. I think I have been practicing what I already know, and with Cameo, not Rafiki or the twins. Hmm, Pat is so right when he says about the imbalance of overdoing online and not being progressive. On the fastrack they drummed into us the three reasons for playing on the line (can you remember..?!). anyway, previously my online play hadn't been for any of those reasons...I have decided I need to be a lot better organised and focussed and started reading 'First things First' by Steven Covey on the plane home. It is brilliant - total common sense but is really helping me. That and My Winners Bible are my favourite books currently.
Once everyone was ready to go Ace climbed back on the float and as Janette asked him back off for a practice the water off the roof shot off onto his back! Poor boy - so he went forward again.
They had two more goes and the same thing happened, so I loaded Rafiki (straight on, she is such a good girl...) and we trundled off to Ace's paddock. Off Rafiki got again and off into the paddock while Ace and Janette had a bit of a play with the float. So interesting watching Rafiki - she really seems so much more selfconfident now. I have noticed she has started to defend her food and the twins are respecting her. Not only does she keep her head in her bucket and kick out at them, she also whirls and strikes towards them. She is quite happy to take herself off in a strange place and explore. When I asked her to load she just went straight on and put herself in position - I did the back up then gave her a reward for that. when we got home she was the most relaxed she has ever been - think all the getting off and on was just what we both needed ...thanks Janette! No poos in the trailer for the first time ever...Looking forward to the next play day..hopefully I'll be riding her by then!

3 comments:

  1. Yay no poos - double bonus! Sounds like a great day and yes sometimes it's good to just 'go out' and not do much - we do that alot lol. What are the thre reasons? Relaxation, flexion? Oh I dunno - help?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So c'mon...what are the three reasons for playing online??? ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as though you all had a great time...wish I could've been there too. must remember the 3 reasons for playing online X

    ReplyDelete