Thursday, September 2, 2010

Days 2 and 3

I wrote a huge long blog last night then lost it, too tired to do again! Well it turns out the test isn't one day but 2 1/2 days, a theory plus a test on each savvy.

Yesterday I empathised hugely with all those having LBI - to my horror my horse would not even look at me when I got there - he had a face full of hay and that was all he cared about. Hmm, I have been taking it for granted that my horses always catch me.... To cut a long story short I summoned up all the savvy I had, reduced the pile of hay and prepared to wait, and wait and wait, turning away whenever he looked at me, with a pocket full of cookies as they call them here.....
Almost an hour later I had him sticking to me and following me around the pen (yes, we hadn't even made it to savvy haltering and out of the pen til then...), but all the others had just about gone and I misunderstood the timing and missed half the tests. Also Pierson went totally RBE in the Arena Grande and virtually pulled me over!! I was a bit fragile, but got it together and decided to continue with building the relationship. So I left the saddle off and did the frestyle tests all online, therefore not scoring any points for the course but hopefully scoring some with Pierson. He was heaps better and I got some help with gaits from an instructor with experience in gaited horses. Just to add a bit of challenge he has 4 sorts of trot - a rack, a missouri foxtrot, a pace and something else. It will be interesting to learn to cause him to pick one to travel in as a trot.

Today was heaps better - he met me with a smile on his face and stuck to me like a limpet......how worthwhile that hour was yesterday.... we had the liberty tests today and I was pleased with how much softer we were. I did them all online (with slack in it) at a walk, as thats all we were ready to do. The last task was 3 minutes stick to me in a 100ft round pen - as the relationship was so much better and I still had cookies I decided to take the halter off - he was great - we had focussed and willing walk and a little trot both ways.

Finesse tasks were in the afternoon but as we had progressed so much I decided he could just carry the saddle and we would mosey around and do what tests we could online, again no points but hopefuly scoring points with him. He was very 'with me' and checking in and gently touching me a lot and trying hard so i think it was the right decision. Then, last thing I thought I'd just sit on him grazing, as it was pretty hot, but he decided he wanted to go for a walk, so we had a 5 minute graze/wander then it was time to meet for the end of the day. Feeling a lot more positive today, having had a good think overnight again(awake from 1.30-3.30am still - this time I even got up and made notes!).

Every wednesday the ranch has a barbeque and a campfire, so that was tonight gone. The Horseman's Apprentice was also showing so we all watched it (including Pat and Linda who brought Vinnie and Linda's new little dog) together on a big tv. What another amazing experience to watch that programme along with all the stars sitting there too!! 'Dancing Pete' is something else...
It was a gorgeous day again but soon as the sun goes down the temperature plummets - think we will have frosts soon.

One BIG thing I have learned - I may very well be reasonable L3 on the ground with Cameo, but it is very different given someone elses horse in a different and a test environment....wow how skilled Pat and Linda and their top students and instructors are. I also think Pierson is no way a solid L2 - will check out the self assessment sheet tomorrow. His porcupine fq is non-existent - but how useful for me to be working this out in this kind of environment.
Also I have learned what real dedication these people have, and how hard they work...people play with their horses well into the dark after they have done their ranch jobs all day...I also took a trip up to Parelli Central, the office - I thought there would be a shop to browse bt there isn't (yet, anyway). someone comes out to see you and it all goes from there.

Oh, and I saw my first snake over here today - just a little one, but a snake none the less...

4 comments:

  1. How marvelous to put your relationship with Pierson first. Savvy! Sounds like it's exhausting physically as well as mentally but an incredible experience.I hope you get to sleep more.
    I did laugh when you said you empathise with owners of LBI's. I am so glad I don't have one of them now lol. What an extra challenge it must be with a loan horse just to add to the mix!
    c x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg a snake! Oh dear that Pierson went RB in the arena - was that the coverall one? What tremendous savvy you have putting the relationship first, I am sure you will get alot of respect from instructors and from your horse. It's understandable he didn't want to know you because he doesn't know you - you really could have been ( up until then) a stranger saying hi I guess.

    I have seen it's getting cold at night there - being so high and dry I guess.

    Hope the voucher turns up soon.
    Xx
    Ps it was 5 degrees last night, 17 yesterday, 13 today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you putting the relationship first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for all your comments - love reading them!!
    jxx

    look forward to reading your blogs too when I get a mo but that won't be for a while...

    ReplyDelete