Wednesday, September 8, 2010

the weekend and more progress

The weekend flew by - we had the Parelli Games on the saturday moring - all those lovely instructors and others there to help and encourage us. Most people to my suprise played online - I thought I'd be the only one not riding. There were 5 games, to be done in I think 3 minutes. Most of them I knew Pierson and I weren't ready for, but I thought we might manage standing on the tarp. We did on our second attempt, but I didn't think he was quite on far enough and moved on to the next task as I was keen to try it out. He hasn't yo-yo-ed back over a pole before (he didn't actually have a yo- yo as he thought yo meant go...). But we took it slowly, asking him around it, forward over it then back, which he completed beautifully. Then we had time for a few steps of sideways which also seemed new to him, then I stopped before losing the points we had gained. I rode him bareback ambling around after the games and to my horror he was stiff as a board, with 200% opp reflex...hmmm....
Sunday between doing the horses and having a small play we went to Pagosa - and yes Hana you were right - there is not a huge amount there but it is very nice.

Monday was back on track, playing with sadldling, direct and indirect rein and I was VERY pleased that magically our rein positions had become lighter and more mobile, I even got a tiny trot! (BIG for Mr LBI..) I have been doing a lot of backwards and over to help improve porky and it has made a huge difference. Also, we now can yo-yo straight (slowly) to the end of 22 ft - not bad for such a few sessions. The key seems to be - ask v.e.r.y slowly and when he gets it move on to somthing different. Oh, and treats of course! As an example - saturday was our first yo-yo over a pole - today, session 2, I asked yoyo back over two poles (as they were set up permanently and the 'lowest' things to practice with). He was pretty smart at managing that. Also, we did our first sideways without a fence, yet last week midweek we couldn't do sideways with a fence...I'm hopeful....

Other 'wins' today - a lovely relaxed slow canter up in the honeycomb..transitions on a circle successful trot to walk and walk to trot and trot to canter on phase 1 - we only started with those on saturday - so today was session 3...and practicing saddling with the big geen ball - think he must have seen one of those or simliar before as was the first time I had played with one - he wasn't worried at all...

Having lots of fun and learning heaps - hope you are too!

Look forward to catching up soon but not too soon.....

3 comments:

  1. Great that all is going well. Hope you went to the Hot Springs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you and he are making awesome progress - well done... xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it Wednesday already!!? You are doing very well, eh? Am loving the posts...more photos? Please!?
    c x

    ReplyDelete